Resort for kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Saint 08 Jun 2023

I'm planning on taking my kids skiing for the first time this winter. Can anyone recommend a resort in the Alps that fits the following criteria?

- Accessible by train from an airport 

- A single ski area (so the adults can ski off and re-join the ski school without needing a bus across town)

- Not one of the massive French resorts (just looking for a change)

Many thanks!

Post edited at 12:25
 Arcturus 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ed Saint:

Resorts I’ve done this are Davos/Klosters from Zurich, and Villars from Geneva. 
Also worth thinking about is the train from Salzburg (take the line which goes clockwise as you look at the rail map) . You need to get a taxi (or bus) from the airport to the central railway station but that takes 10 minutes and is very easy and they have family sized taxis. The rail journey itself is very scenic and stops at Zel am Zee and Kitzbuhel both of which are excellent for family skiing. 

Post edited at 12:41
 stewart murray 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ed Saint:

Have a look at Bardonecchia. You can get there by train from Turin. We stayed in Hotel Ca Fiorre which was great. 

Arcturus 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

Just remembered we also went from Zurich to Wengen but if I remember correctly there was quite a bit of changing involved but may have improved as it was more than ten years ago. Skiing under the Eiger pretty good though!

LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2023
In reply to stewart murray:

I was going to suggest Sestriere from Turin, but no idea about getting a train there.

OP - does it have to be a train? Probably plenty of buses go there from Turin.

HeMa 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ed Saint:

Engelberg would fit the bill… Granted I was there before kids, but it is accessable with trains from Zurich and also only one ski area from the town. Andermatt might also fit the bill as would even Verbier. But being in CH, they’d be spendy.

Åre in Sweden would also fit the bill, and I’ve been there a few times now with the kids. 

sxrxg 09 Jun 2023
In reply to Ed Saint:

Austria has plenty of resorts easily accessible by train from either Munich, Innsbruck or Salzburg. Some examples are Mayerhofen, Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Fieberbrunn, Leogang, Westenforf, St Anton, also loads of smaller family resorts that we never hear about in the UK. 

OP Ed Saint 09 Jun 2023

Many thanks to everyone - lots of great ideas!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...