Grands Montets lifts open?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 07 Dec 2023

Hi all, sorry if I'm being slow but I can't work out whether Grands Montets is going to fully open this year or not...different websites seem to have different info. I guess my brief question is - will it be possible to get to the summit of grands montets this winter or is it still closed following the fire? Given that the midi is closed till late Dec, it makes quite a big different to choice of destination!

Thanks!

hoolabloom 07 Dec 2023
In reply to Jim Houghton:

Still closed and requires you to skin from top of herse or bochard 

OP Jim Houghton 07 Dec 2023

Thanks

gammarus 08 Dec 2023

Looks like Dec 2026 is the target date: https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/projet-grands-montets

philipjardine 08 Dec 2023
In reply to gammarus:

and the French papers are saying this morning how much the price of the new lift has gone up.  So its not only in England where infrastructure builders play this trick!  Prepare for CMB lift ticket price increases....

I love it without the top lift but realise I am in a minority.  

Sam W 08 Dec 2023
In reply to philipjardine:

> and the French papers are saying this morning how much the price of the new lift has gone up.  So its not only in England where infrastructure builders play this trick!  

We live in an old railway station that was built in 1860 at the same time as the line that (still) runs beside it.  There's a couple of books that talk about the Victorian entrepreneurs who built the line and it's a familiar story of scope creep, fallings out, cost overruns and missed deadlines.   I think the problem is human rather than nation specific, I strongly suspect you could go back to the very earliest construction accounts written by man and find exactly the same thing happening.

Back on topic I spent a happy few months many years ago living in the Grand Roc apartments next to the bottom station of the GM lift.  Getting to the very top was always a pain, long queues and convoluted reservation systems, so hopefully they'll manage to solve them with the new system.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...