First set of tech bindings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliptic 08 Dec 2023

After any suggestions from what's currently available...

I'm quite light (65kg) and never going to ski anything particularly hardcore. Versatility and reliability in scottish conditions would be the main priority.

Also looking for a decently high heel lifter. Currently on old Diamir Explore frames with a super high top setting which I know I wont match but I do like using on steeper ascents!

SteveJC94 08 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

It depends a bit on what your priorities are. If you want an alpine-style heel for better power transfer, the Fritschi Tecton and Marker Kingpin are both good. 

If increased safety (lateral toe release) is important the Fritschi Vipec and Tecton are in a class of their own. Having blown an ACL twice, this was a big factor for me. 

If minimum weight is your primary concern, I know several people who've been very happy with the ATK Raider. Though lighter bindings sometimes only have one heel riser instead of two. 

Personally I use the Tecton (installed on a BD Helio 105) which has been my main setup for many weeks in both the Alps and Scotland. Some people are put off by the use of plastic rather than metal, but in my experience they've never put a foot wrong and as an ex-racer I ski them pretty hard. 

In reply to elliptic:

For pin binding I would say leading the pack (and have been for a while) are ATK. Their new Evo selection is probably the best, but because of that they aren't cheap. 
disclaimer I am sponsored for ski's, but get my own binding, I planning to use ATK this season.

Getting a high heal raiser is hard, things like the Market alpinist has three height's in theory. But in reality it's a pain to turn the heal piece around to get the middle height. The Salomon/atomic MTN does have quite a good range of levels the heal raisers, my only complaint is I ma not that keen on the break system.

I would say avoid the Fritschi Xenic, they use a lot of plastic to keep light. I have never had an issue with mine, but I have heard of lots.

Hoe that helps in some way.

OP elliptic 08 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

Thanks guys, that's all helpful advice to follow up.

Yes definitely looking for a reliable / forgiving release! Obviously lighter (and cheaper!) is attractive in principle but I don't need super light weight at the expense of usability.

In reply to elliptic:

Like most amateurs I only have experience of a few models but am very happy with my G3 Ions - you dont see loads of them around compared to other brands but worth a look.

barbeg 08 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

I've used the Vipec V12 for years....Scotland, Alps.... on piste, off piste, touring, gullies, the lot.

Awesome set up.... especially as I have dodgy knees following operations....

Can thoroughly recommend. 

Barbeg 

gammarus 08 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic: I have limited touring experience but after starting on frame bindings I’ve been very pleased I’ve changed to Tectons - light, robust, DIN heel and toe settings. 
You could also have a look at Salomon Shifts but they are heavier. 
There’s a lot of information on https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-at-bindings

random_watcher 08 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

Just a quick caveat to those suggesting that touring bindings with lateral toe release might be better for avoiding knee injuries. All alpine bindings have lateral toe release and yet the leading injury in alpine skiers by a long way is knee ligaments, they are designed to avoid tib/fib fractures which used to be the leading injury by basically sacrificing soft tissue.

Replying to the actual question I would also recommend looking at the ATK bindings, the newer Evo models have some adjustment in the toe clamping strength that can be matched to the heel release values to in theory provide a more reliable release for people at the higher and lower ends of the release values. The build quality is generally excellent and the features offered over the range make it possible to pretty much find a binding with all the features you can ask for together. 

EwanR 09 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

Personally I'd avoid the Tectons (and Vipers as it's the same toe piece) after having snapped an ACL when they didn't release. They ski nicely but the mechanism can get clogged with snow and particular in cold powder to the point at which it's impossible to remove the boot.

For a pure pin binding ATK is the way to go and I like the front brake versions (so Front 9 at our weights).

For a really high heel lift the Plum Guide is an option although depending on your boot and foot size a shim under the toe piece might be needed to make them ski how you want.

Pina 09 Dec 2023
In reply to EwanR:

For the same reasons you don't recommend the Tectons, I wouldn't recommend the Plum guides... 

HeMa 10 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

Just to make it clear to everyone… no toe release on the market will save your ACL. Because If the force is applied in the bad orientation, simple the weight of your lower limb is enough to blow the ACL. Ski bindings norms are to stop spiral tibia fractures (which they do really well)… and yes, there used to be a binding called Kneesaver or What ever on the market… it did not last long (on yer feet ).

now that this is out of the way, on to business. For pure tech bindings and reluability, there are really only four options. In no order: Dynafit, ATK, G3, and Plum. Look for all metal construction and you’ll be set.

kevin stephens 10 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

Dynafit have an effective rotational heel release which does the same job as rotating toe release in alpine and some other pin bindings. I’ve heard arguments from both sides over which is “safer” but my Dynafit Radical bindings have always released when they should and stayed on when they should. One point not mentioned so far is how easy the various options are to clip in. Mine always take a bit of getting used to at the start of each season

tehmarks 10 Dec 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

Every fall is different, one's mileage may vary, etc - but a Dynafit Radical binding was responsible for my spiral tibia fracture. Low energy twisting fall around the tip of my ski. Would a binding with toe releasee have fared better? We'll never know, but I'm very reticent to trust my lower limbs to lightweight touring bindings without toe release now.

innes 10 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

What do people think of the Marker Kingpin (Mwerks) these days?

Still a good option for free-touring type scenarios? Or, have they been squeezed out by the likes of Shifts and ATK?

random_watcher 10 Dec 2023
In reply to innes:

Nothing wrong with the Kingpins. They wouldn't be my first choice unless the price was very good. 

Shifts offer quite a lot more versatility for 50/50 use without too much weight penalty. ATK bindings with the freeride spacers allegedly ski as well for half the weight and are nicer for touring. 

Garethza 11 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

Just get some tectons 👍🏼

gooberman-hill 11 Dec 2023
In reply to tehmarks:

Generally the problem with any binding is dealing with slow twist falls. All modern bindings tend towork well with high energy falls, but releasing on slow twisty falls but not releasing during normal skiing is a difficult problem.

HeMa 11 Dec 2023
In reply to innes:

The touring switch-thingy on them is from the sounds of it a bit of a week point.

plus it is still a tad fiddly to get in to the toes.

Not a bad option (if the price is right), but either going full robust tech binder (like ATK or others), or the slackcountry type (Shifts or Duke PT... or Look P15/18s + CAST).

I generally ride Looks (P15s) and CAST has me really tempted, but taking into account that them Looks are on my park skis... and I would have needed to buy the extra wide look brake-rigs (spendy at ~100 Eur), I got the Duke PT13s (last years model, albeit from what I know, only the DIN range has changed). I needed to bindings on my Spatula like big pow skis (Praxis Pow), with a swelty waist of 134mm . These will be predominantly used for big pow days at resorts, but for occasional touring days as well. Look + CAST might have been the more obvious choice (considering I had them previously mounted with Looks), but finance and also simply to test the Duke PT swayed my to that direction... Might still go with the CAST at a later time, if/when I'm re-sorting my most used 90 to 100mm waisted skis (both for resort bashing, inc. park skiing but also for touring). 

And I still have some form of Dynafit 12DIN version on my big touring skis. Plus some really old Comforts (I think) on my miserystixes..

In reply to elliptic:

Another vote for the Tectons, which have been reliable for me over 2-3 years of skiing in Scotland and the Alps. Now left on my rock ski's and I have gone for Marker Alpinist bindings on my new ski's which I haven't tried yet, but even looking how they poorly - brake function looks pants and very stiff/ difficult to rotate to transition between walk and ski function at home I'm starting to wish I'd just stuck to tectons despite them being heavier. 

KeithWakeley 11 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

I'm by no means experienced and ski likely a lot less than some guys on here, so just my personal experience of a limited range.

I switched from some heavy frame bindings last year to G3 Ions and have found them to be excellent. Nice and light, release fine during my many silly low speed crashes that I tend to have when mucking about with the kids but also felt nice and stable when pressing on a bit both on and off Piste. I used them for a week of resort skiing earlier in the year when snow was pants so little off piste fun to be had and they felt solid on piste hammering hard too, I'm no lightweight and at no point felt anything less than planted and in control on my bindings. Certainly at the level I ski at no decernable difference between the G3s and the various Alpine bindings I've skied in the past. They felt much more stable than the frame bindings.

I'd been looking at the ATK Raiders, they are what I'd really wanted but they wouldn't fit on my skis as they'd been drilled too many times previously. Ended up picking up some new skis off ebay with the G3s on - WhiteDot R.108 - and have been really happy with both the bindings and the skis.

Last years G3 Ions currently on offer on the G3 wbesite too..

I think as others have said, you'll not go far wrong with any of the main pin bindings brands these days - Dynafit, ATK, G3  - all solid with their own querks. I guess it comes down to your preference and budget.

K

Sparrow Guns 12 Dec 2023
In reply to HeMa:

Not to derail the thread too much but if you do go for some Cast in the future can you let us know with a report on them? I got pretty close to getting some a few years back but then due to some family health issues we've not actually been skiing since before Covid and are unlikely to for a few more years. Plenty of time for me to day dream about my ideal ski/touring setup.

spragglerocks 12 Dec 2023
In reply to elliptic:

ATK.

I have two (different) sets and have some vipecs (see below) and some old marker tours (too heavy and not pin bindings).  

The ATK are much better than the Vipecs and the toe release on the vipecs doesn't actual make much difference - my OH had a slow fall on Vipecs, didn't release, similar weight to you, tore his calf quite badly. 

I've also had Vipecs get stuck in tour mode - the solution (after I'd skied down telemark style with the toe locked in) was to pour hot water on it in ski shop so clearly somehow they'd iced up.  They have too much plastic on them for my liking so I now use them on my rock skis - I was an early adopter and have skied all generations of the Vipecs.

No issues at all with the ATKs, UK importer is backcountryuk in Otley, give Phil a ring and he'll advise you on which model best suits your needs.

Post edited at 12:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...