Family Ski Holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stumc 17 Jan 2024

Hoping the hive mind can help.

We are looking at a first time family ski holiday for 2025, but the list of resorts is bonkers!

Mrs STUMC has skied in Canada a couple of times and on occasion in Scotland and the kids (13 and 16) have only ever skied in Scotland.

I'm looking for suggestions of a European destination that is at the cheaper end of the market and has good ski school options.

So far Bulgaria has raised my eyebrows as an option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

kristian Global Crag Moderator 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

Which school holidays would you go in? Christmas/New Year it's best to go high as snow levels  in the budget friendly resorts can be unreliable unless you are prepared to book last minute.  Italy has a variety of snow sure resorts early season on a budget.

yodadave 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

my wife keeps mentioning Georgia as an option, cant say i know much personally. 

I'm also keen to hear what others come up with

OP stumc 17 Jan 2024
In reply to kristian:

Looking at Feb, although no real half term in Moray so it would be a couple of gash days off for the kids.

duncan b 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

You may also want to consider somewhere with non skiing kid friendly activities as lessons usually only last half the day. We had a great time in Val Thorens during the Easter holidays last year. It has a great sports complex with a pool and large soft play. Our then 4 year old daughter had a great time in ski school with ESF. We're going to Vaujany this Feb half term which I'm told also has a great sports centre. 

LastBoyScout 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

Went to Sestriere with my wife when she was a complete novice - ski school there was really good, with big, wide, gentle learning slopes. My Mum (non-skier) had a day trip to Turin.

Had a day trip over to Montgenevre, which was really novice-friendly and really helped my wife consolidate her skiing.

Les Houches is good for novices.

Sean Kelly 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

Italy is my choice of great skiing and more importantly better weather. In 7 trips I have only had one week of poor conditions.  Austria is pretty and nice food like Italy. Scotland is the worst option. Big queues when conditions are good, which I can count on one finger! Also tried Morocco one winter, but ended up winter mountaineering which was great.

Post edited at 14:11
 sxrxg 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

Jasna in Slovakia is cheaper especially accommodation and eating on the hill. Modern efficient lift system and decent size ski area. Also thought Slovakia was a lovely country in general.

Also can recommend the Maurienne valley in France. Several smaller resorts (Valmeiner/Vallorie, Valmoral, Val Cenis, Valfrejus) that are generally considerably cheaper than other larger more well know French resorts. 

LastBoyScout 17 Jan 2024
In reply to sxrxg:

Yes, forgot about Val Morel - friend of my Uncle's had an appartment there right at the side of the slopes. We had 8 in it for a week, which was pretty cramped!

HeMa 17 Jan 2024
In reply to stumc:

I would venture to say that the Tatra will prolly give you the best bang for bucks. Be it Jasna SK or Zakopane PL. 

Romania and Bulgaria will be cheaper, but infrastructure and services will be ”different”.

Georgia will have terrific skiing, but again services and infra might be lacking.

In the Alps, Italy will be cheapest. Possibly followed by Germany, Austria or France. And Yeah Swiss will be the Most spendy.

Nordics might seems spendy, but they also might offer convinience factors over say France. While Levi or Ylläs are nice (FIN), I’d prolly go to Åre (SWE)… in fact I was just there for two weeks. But Trysil (NOR), Sälen (SWE) are also valid options.

Doug 17 Jan 2024
In reply to HeMa:

Where does Andorra fit into your overview ? Used to be considered a cheap option but I'venot been there for many years, & usually day trips when staying with friends living in the Ariege (France).

HeMa 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Doug:

Ah, yeah… I was theRe also eons ago. I’d say that perhaps in the ballpark of Italy for costs, but with infra and services quality closer to swiss ones. Not a bad call at all. Only non-convinient thing is getting there… flights to BCN and then a 2-3h transfer. 

Stenton 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Doug:

Given ski school was a requirement (presumably taught at least jointly in English), I'd have thought Andorra or a medium-sized Italian resort would be good options.

Friend took his family to Bulgaria New Year before last and they (and the rest of the resort) were very slowly lapping the one open run of muddy snow. Possibly too early in the season...

John Ww 17 Jan 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I would forget Valmorel - apart from skiing, there’s pretty much nothing else to do, and that includes going for a walk. It’s also bloody expensive if you go out for a meal or a drink (think €25 for a pizza, €9.50 for a pint, €6 for a hot chocolate in the huts). We go at least once a year for the freeriding (only came back on Saturday, so the prices are accurate), but as a cheap family destination, think elsewhere. In comparison, we were skiing in Stubai the week before Christmas - €600 for a big self catering apartment in the middle of Neustift, free ski bus up to the glacier or down to Schlick 2000, €4.50 a pint, good quality restaurant meals for less than €20, an ice rink, a swimming pool with all the trimmings, etc, etc. in the middle of town, and if you want a trip out, a 35 minute bus ride at €8 each way takes you right into the middle of Innsbruck. 

LastBoyScout 18 Jan 2024
In reply to John Ww:

Fair enough - it's years since I've been there.

I just remember going with a group of novices and it being quite good for them.

Post edited at 10:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...