What are the geese saying?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 07 Nov 2023

It's the time of year you see skeins of them flying overhead. They're usually calling out. Is it a discussion about which muddy field or pond they should head for? Come on goose behavioural scientists of UKC, spill the beans.

broken spectre 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

It's echo-location, the "Honks" reverberate back allowing the Geese to map the topography beneath them and assess for weather conditions ahead.

gravy 07 Nov 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

They are saying the King's speech was devoid of real policy and ideas and that no matter the dog whistles, bear traps and incendiary provocation the Tories are toast.

Post edited at 14:03

This is mindboggling, if true. It’s really hard to imagine what form that ‘mapped’ information would take. How they ‘read’ it.

JLS 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Google thinks it's to help regulate their flying formation shape...

OP Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to gravy:

> They are saying the King's speech was devoid of real policy and ideas and that no matter the dog whistles, bear traps and incendiary provocation the Tories are toast.

I knew someone would have put it through Google translate!

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> This is mindboggling, if true.

It's not true sadly.

wercat 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Well you've seen cyclists talking as they ride in company, even in a peloton.

Geese, being spaced further and having greater airspeed, need to speak up a bit.

There has been quite a bit of research over the last few decades that seems to indicate that avian brains are not simpler than mammalian brains but are much more compact to achieve low weight and very high speed neural interconnection.  I think we have underestimated avian minds through the ages, based on some kind of chauvinism based on the fact that they don't have much ability for facial expression.

Post edited at 18:20
 FactorXXX 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Are we there yet?

mondite 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Its not geese you hear but the wild hunt seeking out new victims to drag into the eternal chase.

Sleep tight.

Doug 07 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Are we there yet?

surely that's just the youngsters ?

In reply to Lankyman:

Honk if you ❤️ Geesus!

In reply to Lankyman:

Flap

Flap

Flap...

streapadair 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Bit busy here, innit?

Fat Bumbly2 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Debating the grade of a certain gritstone route.

OP Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> Debating the grade of a certain gritstone route.

Goosey Goosey Gander (E5 6a)?

MikeR 07 Nov 2023
In reply to JLS:

Are they honking the goose version of the dam busters theme tune?

FactorXXX 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Doug:

> surely that's just the youngsters ?

Otherwise known as Ryanair.

Fat Bumbly2 07 Nov 2023
In reply to MikeR:

Yay! Golden eggs.

Bottom Clinger 07 Nov 2023

> It's not true sadly.

I think we’ve bean here before with your made up stuff. 

Michael Hood 07 Nov 2023
In reply to streapadair:

Nice photo - the noise 2-3,000 Pink-footed geese make when they take off is just amazing.

Apparently, Greylag Geese are much quieter in flight, yet they fly around in large skeins as well. Maybe Pink-footed are just noisy buggers.

To BC: that's quite subtle, will fly over most people's heads 😁

Post edited at 23:01
 CantClimbTom 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

Enough of the fowl yokes, just anser the question

hang_about 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Left a bit, right a bit, bomb bay doors open, fire!

McHeath 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Complaining about the bad SatNav connection due to Greylag

d_b 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

They are discussing new ways to be horrible to people.

The events in "Untitled Goose Game" are entirely factual.

In reply to Lankyman:

From the river to the sea

Billhook 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Its quite simple:

Goose leader at the front calls to the (normally) two geese behind him, "change course to starboard 1 degree".

Those two geese pass this instruction to their two geese next down the V

Those two geese pass this instruction to their two geese next down the V two geese pass this instruction to their two geese next down the V, ad infinitum

Of course there's the odd one asking for a repeat, others simply don't hear and get squawked at, others don't pay attention and go of by a couple of degrees and get shouted at too.   Thats why its not a regular cry and sounds confused.

In reply to Lankyman:

At this time of year.

Geese  remind us that turkey tastes so much better 

In reply to Name Changed 34:

Why do you think they're all flying south...?

wercat 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Billhook:

and if they are observing good discipline there will be a "Roger wilco out" coming back up the line to the leader

of course it sounds continuous but for all we know they might be using many channels, time division beak multiplexed with one of the geese providing clocking calls determining the channel slots

Post edited at 16:59
 FactorXXX 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Billhook:

> Its quite simple:
> Goose leader at the front calls to the (normally) two geese behind him, "change course to starboard 1 degree".

Wouldn't that mean that they would form a single line (possibly two parallel ones close to each other)?

Billhook 08 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Geese are known to fly in a V or in angled single file because  each bird obtains some lift from the air vortex created by the wing beats of the bird in front.  The vortex peels off to the side, so this wont work  if thy are flying directly in a  double or a single straight line ahead formation.  

Bottom Clinger 08 Nov 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Flap

> Flap

> Flap...

For some reason, I can’t get the image of David Brent doing his stupid flappy dance out of my head. 

FactorXXX 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Billhook:

> Geese are known to fly in a V or in angled single file because  each bird obtains some lift from the air vortex created by the wing beats of the bird in front.  The vortex peels off to the side, so this wont work  if thy are flying directly in a  double or a single straight line ahead formation.  

Yes, but if every bird adjusts their course by 1° starboard, then the only shape you'll get is a straight diagonal line.
What the geese need to do is to initially fly line astern and the leader gets them to number themselves 1,2,3, etc. from front to rear.  The lead geese then tells the odd numbers to deviate 1° starboard/right relative to the odd numbered goose in front of it and tells the evens to do the same but deviate to port/left.  
Fly straight the right flank!
Fly straight the left flank!

Fat Bumbly 2.0 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

How do you know David is a Brent?

DaveHK 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Wank, wank, wank.

petegunn 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I recall on a nature programme that the younger ones get shouted out to get back in line/formation by the older birds, by flying in the V formation it is more efficient and less draining on long distances, so when the younger ones break free they are wasting other birds energy resources. Just like unruly teenagers!

I think airlines have looked into this as well, although very dangerous it would save loads on fuel if planes flew in the V formation.

wercat 09 Nov 2023
In reply to petegunn:

I'm sure the designers of the Vulcan Bomber looked into it!

elliptic 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

As usual there's an obligatory XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1729/

Billhook 09 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

lMmmm?  Maybe  thats what they are doing already  It takes lots of instruction.  Prhaps these are geese under instruction and we don't notice the silent skeins of geese who are well trained......  

Bottom Clinger 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> How do you know David is a Brent?

Hmmm, my subtle humour ain’t working so well…again. 

d_b 10 Nov 2023

You may think it's subtle but I think Brent's crude.

In reply to Lankyman: South Boys south, hurry up!

wercat 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Stephen R Young:

and when they get there "The Boy's are Back in Town"

Bottom Clinger 11 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Just been watching thousands of pink feet today, including a group of a few thousand coming in to roost. Stunning - a full on wild life spectacle.  And also saw a rare ‘blue phase snow goose’. When I say ‘saw’, it was a whitish blob about a mile away. 

inboard 11 Nov 2023

Sticking my neck out (lol) with some thread drift here…

we had a flock of 12 whooper swans flew over the other day. Brilliant. Super noise (honking, and the noise of their wings)

Bottom Clinger 11 Nov 2023
In reply to inboard:

I love whoopers. Seen lots today. But my first memory:…

…I was about 12 and my Grandfather gave me a sliver coated Devon minnow to go pike fishing with. On Rydal. I waded out in my wellies and stood on a boulder. After a few cast I’d snagged the bottom, so he came over to me, grabbed my rod and said ‘it’s not the bottom, it’s a fish’.  Then this huge salmon lept clean out of the lake, shuck it’s head, sent my lure flying and that was that. He was more devastated than me. But I can still remember about 12 whoopers coming to land on the lake. That whopping noise. And they’re big!  

wercat 13 Nov 2023

They might be discussing new words they have heard as they fly.  I heard one today for the first time, "Teledildonics"

jamesg85 13 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Talk to me Goose

Post edited at 10:18
OP Lankyman 13 Nov 2023
In reply to wercat:

>Teledildonics"

AI-controlled sex toys?

In reply to Lankyman:

Probably something like "Stop effing up the climate you stupid human bastards- now we don't know whether we're coming or going!"

In reply to Lankyman:

> AI-controlled sex toys?

'Tele' suggests 'at a distance', so remotely controlled, I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...