Weird first date

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dread-i 06 Feb 2024

I was reading about the conflict in Gaza and I was struck by a odd bit of trivia.

"His national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, lives in Hebron, and his first date with his wife was reportedly at Goldstein’s tomb in a settlement there."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/05/feels-like-revenge-palestinia...

Ignoring the politics of the current situation. Who has their first date to a tomb?

Have you had a similar weird dating experience? Did you live to tell the tale?

montyjohn 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

My first date with my now wife was in a cave. I think it was wretched rabbit so extra romantic.

It wasn't officially a date. It was a caving trip that I planned but failed to invite anyone else. It's not weird.

mountainbagger 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Not the first date, but within a month of meeting so possibly our 5th/6th date my now wife went camping with me and some friends in Buttermere. It was very cold so I gave her my sleeping bag and I used hers...it was not up to the task!

Anyway, she took to the whole thing extremely well, never complained, was happy the entire time, including a nice big walk over the tops followed by copious amounts of beer. I knew she was the one then.

Not weird for us on this site, but everyone else I knew who wasn't outdoorsy thought it was a very weird thing to do in the first month of dating!

mik82 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

> I was reading about the conflict in Gaza and I was struck by a odd bit of trivia.

> "His national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, lives in Hebron, and his first date with his wife was reportedly at Goldstein’s tomb in a settlement there."

Not just a tomb, but the tomb of a mass-murderer who committed a massacre in a mosque and is thus celebrated as a hero by some people in the Israeli Government. Hard not to comment on the politics here!

Timmd 06 Feb 2024
In reply to mountainbagger: I think your kindness keeping her warm would have gone down very well. 

Post edited at 12:05
 Snyggapa 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Sometime around 18 years ago I took the still current Mrs. Apa to body worlds exhibition in earl's court for our first ever date - looking at all of Gunther Van Hagens plasticied corpses. 

EdS 06 Feb 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

odd - me and SWMBO met in Brackenbottom Pot and then beers at The Dump and first "date" was Hagg Gill Pot

elsewhere 06 Feb 2024
In reply to Snyggapa:

Yeah, but she told everyone who you were and where you were going, just in case she ended up plasticised....

Mark Collins 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

I reckon Goths would be keen. I once went to a Goth wedding. They had a black wedding cake with  a double coffin on top.

gribble 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

First date ( and first time meeting) with current gf was at Grindleford cafe for a tea and bacon sandwich. We then went for a long walk, apparently I fell over 3 times which is usual for me, and it didn't scare her off. Then back to Grindleford cafe for more tea and chip butty. 

All normal for us, seen as weird by others.

OP dread-i 06 Feb 2024
In reply to Mark Collins:

> I reckon Goths would be keen.

Probably also a good way to check if you were dating a vampire slayer.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Blackford Hill and survived.  Scrambling up the quarry came later.

Billhook 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Back in the 60s a good friend of mine asked if I'd like to go on a blind date with him, his girlfriend and her female friend.  

It was an unmitigated failure.   We went to one of their flats or house - and it was announced they'd like to watch a soccer match.   I have dislike football.  I have never ever watched a match and was bored out of my mind.   

I never saw the lass again.

Post edited at 17:15
 Billhook 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Back in the 60s a good friend of mine asked if I'd like to go on a blind date with him, his girlfriend and her female friend.  

It was an unmitigated failure.   We went to one of their flats or house - and it was announced they'd like to watch a soccer match.   I have dislike football.  I have never ever watched a match and was bored out of my mind.   

Lankyman 06 Feb 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

>  Scrambling up the quarry came later.

I beg your pardon?

wittenham 06 Feb 2024
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Not the first date, but within a month of meeting so possibly our 5th/6th date my now wife went camping with me and some friends in Buttermere. It was very cold so I gave her my sleeping bag and I used hers...it was not up to the task!

Not our first date but  not far off... we ended up bivying [accidentally] on the eastern side of the Rockies in December.  One of us [the Canadian] brought a 5 season Canadian bag.  The other brought something more suitable to a Welsh spring... we swapped bags.  We have now been married approaching 25 years.

To be fair, we were headed for a hut, so she was not expecting to need to bivy.

Wil Treasure 06 Feb 2024
In reply to dread-i:

I went on a date to the cinema once. I picked the film because some of it had been filmed near my parents house and I knew some of the extras. I had no idea what it was about. Anyway, it turns out it was the Libertine, where Johnny Depp's nose falls off as he's dying from siphylis. Didn't get a second date.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...