Webpage Outlook - why have Microsoft made it completely rubbish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 20 Nov 2023

As per the thread title - Outlook on a webpage used to be ok, recently MS have changed it to the "new" version which is complete unadulterated b*ll*cks.

I mean it's like going back 20 years to clunkiness from the time that IT forgot.

Ciro 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

Clunkiness for fat fingers on touchscreens?

felt 20 Nov 2023

Has it changed much? Seems the same or pretty similar to me. The Insert function's different, but it all chugs along OK. I wish I could search my mail more effectively, with the precision of say a search in Word, but it's free and all that and stores nearly 20 yrs worth of my stuff. So while I'll happily complain about most things, Hotmail/Outlook isn't among them.

Anything in particular that has caused your ire?

OP Michael Hood 20 Nov 2023
In reply to felt:

This is what it looks like now, before it used to be the blue+white layout, with folders down the side, etc. Even the cramped up smartphone version is superior.

You can't adjust the width of the "columns" to show more of the sender's ID or more of the email title - if you have the window as a full screen (or near to) then there's lots of wasted space whether you want it or not.

You can't just drag files into a new message as attachments, you have to select them via a file dialog box one at a time.

You can't see your folders all the time, only via a drop-down "menu".

I'm sure there are further negative improvements to be found but I'm minimising my time with it; haven't found any positive improvements.

Luke90 20 Nov 2023

That looks like the "light" version, or whatever term they're using for the equivalent these days. Would guess that you or a redirect have accidentally switched to that version rather than it being a deliberate "upgrade". The light version is normally designed for slow/unstable internet connections or outdated browsers. That's maybe another reason you could have been switched to it, actually, could your browser be way out of date for some reason?

OP Michael Hood 20 Nov 2023
In reply to Luke90:

Version 119.0.2151.72 of Microsoft Edge - up to date apparently

I'm on fibre so not slow or unstable - it just changed a week or so ago without warning

The Outlook App (which I don't use) appears to be fine and allows me to change to "the new Outlook" - but this is the Outlook on a webpage that's changed.

https://outlook.live.com/owa/0/?ae=Folder&t=IPF.Note

Hooo 20 Nov 2023

I'm still getting the old layout. Are you sure it's not something you've accidentally agreed to?

OP Michael Hood 21 Nov 2023
In reply to Hooo:

> I'm still getting the old layout. Are you sure it's not something you've accidentally agreed to?

Eminently possible but how would I know what that was if it was accidental and I have no memory of it 😁

I was hoping that loads of people (or at least some) would respond with "yes it's rubbish, no way to change it", or "here's what I did to escape" but the (lack of) responses so far does tend to support the thinking that it's something about my account/PC/setup.

SouthernSteve 21 Nov 2023

Are you paying for a business 365 account or using Outlook in another way? Within Office on line the mail app is fully featured as before if you have a business or academic account. Teams has recently done a bit of a split between personal and business and I wonder if Outlook is the same. Just a thought.

Bottom Clinger 21 Nov 2023

I don’t use Outlook, but it looks like it’s not installed properly, so I’d remove the app and reinstall. 

In reply to SouthernSteve:

365 - no way, I am avoiding Microsoft's pernicious subscription model for as long as possible

It's my home PC, windows 10

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

It's the webpage version that's changed, so no app to remove/install.

Ultimately it's not a big deal, just annoying that companies like Microsoft are always having to change things that are working quite happily and don't actually need "improving".

Luke90 21 Nov 2023

If you'd taken the clue I gave you earlier about it being the light version and just googled it, you'd have found how to switch back rather than having to carry on moaning about it.

Here's the comparison between light and normal, with light looking like a match for your screenshot to me:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/compare-the-standard-and-light-v...

Here's Microsoft's instructions for switching back:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/get-help-with-outlook-on-the-web...

The exact details probably depend on precisely which version you're using, but that should at least give you a starting point.

In reply to Luke90:

Oops sorry about that and thanks for the links. I remember "lite" versions of stuff being around in the 90's, didn't realise they weren't extinct as a paradigm.

However, something funny going on since my Edge is up to date. I'm guessing it's connected with my "battle" with MS which every month or two asks me if I want to link/coordinate/whatever with my other devices (I do NOT want to do this, I do not agree with MS holding unnecessary data about everything I do) at which point it then buggers up my stored passwords, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...