Swapping between sims

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 07 Nov 2023

I have currently got two sims in my phone and will shortly transfer my old number onto the new one. Is it possible to transfer the contacts off the old one? I don't want to do it all manually. Thanks!

timjones 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

That will depond on what phone and OS you have, it is certainly possible to transfer contacts off the SIM on my Samsung Galaxy but I cannot see how to put them onto another SIM.

Luke90 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Are you sure the numbers are actually stored on the SIM? It's still possible to do that but it's not normally the default on modern phones.

Hooo 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Assuming you have a modern smartphone it's very unlikely you will have your contacts stored on the SIM. I think it's still possible, but it's not the default and no one does it.

Jenny C 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Easiest way I could find (assuming smartphones) was to back everything up on Google.

OP Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

You are assuming that I have far greater tech knowledge than I have!

OP Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Luke90:

> Are you sure the numbers are actually stored on the SIM? It's still possible to do that but it's not normally the default on modern phones.

You may well be right? When I got my current phone I just put the old SIM into it. Some contacts seemed to transfer, others not. I ended up putting a lot in manually.

OP Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Hooo:

Whenever I put a number in my old phone I was given the option to store either on the device or on the SIM. It seemed (to me) to be better to put things on the SIM. The old phone became so unstable that even making a call wasn't possible so getting contacts out of it would have been virtually impossible. Now I did recently make a call on the new SIM. I don't think I typed the number out manually so maybe the contacts are on the device?

Jenny C 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

https://support.google.com/contacts/answer/1069522?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platf...

I just followed one of the online tutorials, helps if you can pull the instructions up on a desktop or other device rather than flicking between screens.

In you're an iPhone user I think they have something similar but using their own backup system.

Wimlands 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

With an iPhone you have the option…

settings > contacts > import sim contacts

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202340

I presume other OS phones have similar options.

OP Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Wimlands:

Mine's android but I'll check out the settings, thanks

Fraser 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Go to Contacts > Manage Contacts > Merge (or Import / Export Contacts, depending on which way you're using,  depending on the SIM being used. ) It should be pretty easy to do what you want. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...