North west highland advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 01 Feb 2024

Good evening

Im looking at booking a cottage north of Ullapool for a week in October. It’s between Ullapool and Lochinver on the A835, and is roadside with good views.

I’m just wondering how busy this road is in October at night, and how long to some Munro’s? I’ve not climbed Ben more Assynt and a Munro at the junction of the An Teallach/Ullapool road. 
ta

Dave

MG 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Not busy. At all.

DaveHK 01 Feb 2024

The road won't be busy at night. All the tourist traffic settles down by 6pm and October is well past the peak anyway.

Post edited at 21:39

Those A roads up in Wester Ross at night are about as lonely as any in the British Isles.

OP Dave the Rave 01 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK/ MG

Thanks both👍

MG 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Those A roads up in Wester Ross at night are about as lonely as any in the British Isles.

They are mobbed in summer!!

OP Dave the Rave 02 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave and MG. I’ve booked, but in Inchmadamph  as the Mrs preferred the cottage.

It looks good to be fair. Very basic just like me

Its got a woodburner, and I’m wondering whether there are any log suppliers up there who we could arrange with for a bag to be delivered?

Any info would be great

ta, Dave.

Post edited at 21:14
 CurlyStevo 02 Feb 2024

If I was you i'd check out some of the non munros too, some of my favourite hills that way are suilven (probably the best of the 3), quinaig and stac pollaidh

Post edited at 22:02
 CurlyStevo 02 Feb 2024
In reply to MG:

NC500, personally I preferred the area before hand.

petegunn 02 Feb 2024

The caves are worth a look if it's miserable on the tops.

Reminds me when we tried to get into the lodge in Inchmadamph one winter but it was full, we ended up at Gerry's in Achnashellach - what an experience that was, Gerry being quite mad! He dried out all our kit though bless him! 

Post edited at 22:22
 Graeme G 02 Feb 2024

> Its got a woodburner, and I’m wondering whether there are any log suppliers up there who we could arrange with for a bag to be delivered?

> Any info would be great

Every shop and garage will sell fuel for a wood burner. I’d be amazed if you need a delivery.

DaveHK 03 Feb 2024
In reply to petegunn:

> Reminds me when we tried to get into the lodge in Inchmadamph one winter but it was full, we ended up at Gerry's in Achnashellach - what an experience that was, Gerry being quite mad! He dried out all our kit though bless him! 

Gerry was a one of. He could be really friendly or quite unpleasant. There was a thread about him on here after he died where I learned that he probably suffered from depression which would explain a lot.

In reply to DaveHK:

> Gerry was a one of. He could be really friendly or quite unpleasant. There was a thread about him on here after he died where I learned that he probably suffered from depression which would explain a lot.

Always got on with Gerry. Even looked after the place a couple of times in the 80s whilst he went on holiday. Loved his industrial drying room and varied selection of vinyl LPs! 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 04 Feb 2024
In reply to Deleated bagger:

On the principle of trying something twice, I never returned to Gerry's hostel a third time.

Post edited at 09:33
 Jasonic 04 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Anyone else remember the bones stuck into the concrete walls & the piece of floor vinyl propped up inside the shower as a screen...!

OP Dave the Rave 04 Feb 2024
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks Curly

I plan to walk Conival and Ben More Assynt, Suilven and perhaps Ben Hope 

ta

dave

DaveHK 04 Feb 2024

> Thanks Curly

> I plan to walk Conival and Ben More Assynt, Suilven and perhaps Ben Hope 

> ta

> dave

Best part of 2hrs drive to Ben Hope from Inchnadamph.

rif 04 Feb 2024

Cul Mor is a wonderful viewpoint and well worth considering for your target list.

OP Dave the Rave 04 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave

Everything is a long way, but even two hours is 6 hours closer than here

In reply to DaveHK:

> Gerry was a one of. He could be really friendly or quite unpleasant. 

Or downright creepy. A female friend stayed there many years ago and Gerry sat down beside her, one of his testicles hanging out of his shorts. She was on her own so was quite glad when others turned up to stay the night.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...