Calling Toerag and others dealing with Storm Ciarán

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 02 Nov 2023

Hope you’re coping with the weather. How crazy is it?  

Toerag 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Still alive . Personally - it was OK, no damage to my house or property. First tree was reported down at 7pm when the wind started to get up, then it was around F8 gusting 10 from about 9pm until I went to bed around midnight. Woke up at 7:30 to the sound of the heavy concrete roof tiles being rattled, and saw a small tree was half down in the field opposite. Lots of twigs and leaves everywhere. It got to gusting to 78mph at our airport this morning. Alderney had 102mph apparently. Police report 73 trees down over roads.  A couple of large warehouses have had their roofs pulled off, some scaffolding got torn off a house and deposited all over the neighbouring one and plenty of people have lost the odd slate or tile. There have been some flooded roads, but as we don't have rivers we don't get proper flooding. My mate's small boat is floating upside down on its bay mooring, I suspect the rain was too much for the bilge pump.  People were pretty well-prepared, so there haven't been trampolines flying around.  Jersey came off far worse - winds over 100mph at their airport. One council estate had a tornado plough through it, smashing windows, stripping tiles off roofs and moving vehicles. There's footage of that online.  3 people hospitalised and 40 rehoused.  Our business continuity manager's house had a large tree fall on the end and damage it heavily.  It must have been bonkers in western Brittany though, Pointe Du Raz saw 207kmph / 128mph / F17 winds.  Just under 1 million houses lost power in Brittany and Normandy!

Thanks for looking out for us down here

Post edited at 20:57
In reply to Toerag:

That’s a rough spell of weather!  And Brittany sounds bonkers. Looks like folks got prepared, so well done on the forecasters and those folks getting things prepared. 

I reckon we will see more and more of these events.  

Toerag 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

yeah, businesses were getting staff to work from home today and yesterday afternoon where possible. Evening social activities were cancelled, schools were closed today, and people were told not to go out if possible.  Traffic dept. got people to call the police and let them know about blocked roads, and they were then able to direct and prioritise tree surgeons and other work parties to clear up the arterial routes so blue light vehicles could get through. It all worked well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...