MOAC n°4 on wire for the Nuts Museum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nutstory 28 Mar 2024

Bonjour everyone!

Despite long and intense searches I never managed to find a MOAC n°4 on wire… Today, with sizes n°1, n°2, n°3 & n°4 on rope, and n°1, n°2, n°3 on wire, the collection is almost complete. But this MOAC n° 4 on wire is still desperately missing to The Nuts Museum. Thank you for all your interest in my research... With best wishes from Corsica!

Stéphane

MisterPiggy 28 Mar 2024
In reply to nutstory:

Hi Stephane, whilst not wanting to teach your grandmother to suck eggs, have you looked at 'le Bon Coin' ? I just searched 'coinceurs' and there are a lot, of various kinds, some unnamed. As you know exactly what a wired MOAC looks like, maybe you'll find one there ? Good luck !!

In reply to nutstory:

I think I may have a No.4 MOAC on wire, but I would have to go on a kind of tunnelling expedition in my understairs cupboard to find it….

OP nutstory 28 Mar 2024
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Thank you for your message MisterPiggy. I must admit that I regularly visit Le Bon Coin but often without much success. I'm not looking for a MOAC on wire (2nd generation), not so easy to find by the way, but a MOAC on wire #4 (3rd generation). Thanks again for your advice.

OP nutstory 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Bonjour Gordon Stainforth, fingers crossed that you'll want to take up caving. It's a wonderful activity, I promise...

Steve Claw 28 Mar 2024
In reply to nutstory:

I think this might be one, the colour suggests its a number 2, but its much larger.

Can't read the writing as its well worn.

Rick Graham 28 Mar 2024
In reply to nutstory:

Inspired by your enthusiam, but even you might admit how ugly the generation 3 are compared to gen 1 + gen 2 MOAC.

I am impressed by the colour coding , though. Was this the first available?

OP nutstory 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Steve Claw:

Steve Claw, thank you very much for this photo. No, this sample is a MOAC Original Chock on wire. There is no information stamped on it. It is amazing where they placed the swage.

OP nutstory 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

Bonjour Rick, this is the reason why this third generation was never really popular. In fact, there wasn't really any color coding at that time. From one series to another, the plastic tube could change colour. The same size could have a different colour...

moac 29 Mar 2024
In reply to nutstory:

Moac, the best nut in the world!

Rick Graham 29 Mar 2024
In reply to moac:

Moac, generation 2, best nut in the world.

Fixed for you

I preferred it to the gen 1, unlike the older climbers in my mountaining club.

pasbury 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Steve Claw:

That looks like a clog nut, I have something similar. The wire is so stiff it would almost always lift out unless welded in.

OP nutstory 29 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

Each Clog nut is stamped with the name "CLOG" and the size number. This chock is indeed a MOAC Original Chock on wire, for sure.

Post edited at 10:14
OP nutstory 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

Generation 1 is a "must have", at least for a passionate collector

On the photograph: John Brailsford / MOUNTAINEERING ACTIVITIES (England), on the bottom left, one of the six original prototype MOAC’s, belonged to Doug Cook and given by John Fisher, one “half-size” filed MOAC, given by Don Roscoe, and five MOAC’s 1st generation.

Post edited at 10:21

Steve Claw 29 Mar 2024
In reply to nutstory:

These are my 4, none have any markings.

The one on the left with the purple rope belonged to my dad, who got it circa 1970.

OP nutstory 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Steve Claw:

Thank you for this beautiful photo Steve! All of these nuts are MOAC Original Chocks. The one mounted on a white rope seems to be of the first generation, the three others are of the second generation. It is normal to not find any information stamped on each of them.

Post edited at 12:34

johncook 29 Mar 2024
In reply to nutstory:

I still use my gen 1 MOAC. Just keep changing the string.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...