North face car park / CIC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stob Dearg 08 Jun 2023

It seems the North Face carpark is now pay to use - anyone knows how this works for the CIC hut?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question!

Neil Williams 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

My assumption was that you park there and pay for several days, but RingGo appears not to allow* that, and you'll not have a signal on the mountain to pay for another day at midnight (unless things have changed since I last went) so I guess that car park is no longer available for the CIC or for wild campers.

I do wish people would use a bit of brain setting these things up.  The public car park opposite Snowdon Ranger hostel is the same, despite people staying at the hostel wanting to park there as the hostel only has about 5 spaces.

* It can definitely *do* that as it offers multi day stays at railway stations, so whoever set it up has done so for one day max.

Post edited at 09:41
OP Stob Dearg 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Neil Williams:

Practically what are people doing?

a crap climber 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Neil Williams:

It's possible to get some signal at the CIC hut, at the top and various places in between, depending on network. It might be a bit of a gamble to rely on that though.

Agree with what you're saying though, it's a common problem with a lot of car parks.

E2A: in my experience signal at the car park is pretty hit and miss. Assume there's some form of card payment available? Or do I need to take a big bag of pound coins?

Post edited at 10:11
 Fiona Reid 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

The "Need help using RingGo" FAQ at https://forestryandland.gov.scot/visit/car-parking says you can pay up to 72 hours after your visit. I'm on EE and get signal at the CIC but can't comment for other networks.

Not sure what happens with overnight stays though, that seems like somewhat of an oversight given that a lot of folks use the CIC.

Maybe shove a note on the windscreen?

Post edited at 10:26
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Well according to the FAQ, FLS car parks are for day visitors only...

Fiona Reid 08 Jun 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

I'd seen that too, hence saying not sure what happens for overnight. 

andyc123 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

I was in there on Tuesday and didn't notice any parking machines.

In reply to Fiona Reid:

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I wonder what their definition of overnight is? It's a rare day in December/January when I'm back to the car park before it gets dark. If I'm gone before morning then presumably that doesn't count as it was only for part of the night, not overnight. Hopefully there'll be a sensible approach otherwise we'll see cars abandoned in silly places to escape the risk of a fine.

Fiona Reid 08 Jun 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

Also keeping my fingers crossed for some common sense. 

The RingGo stuff seems to run midnight to midnight so that should cover a late finish. 

ag17 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

When I last checked just a few days ago the planning application that included barriers, APNR & a pay point had not been approved, so presumably FLS haven't installed them yet and it's just signage saying "pay via Ringo"?

I know Mountaineering Scotland have been trying to engage with FLS about allowing overnight/multi-day parking - it seems not too successfully! I will make them aware of this thread.

gravy 20 Jun 2023
In reply to ag17:

For the record, I went to the NF carpark this weekend and there was no evidence of RingGo at the car park.   There were signs saying please no overnight camping.  

Obviously this may change!

Jenny C 20 Jun 2023
In reply to gravy:

> ....There were signs saying please no overnight camping.  

I would assume 'no overnight camping' means no staying in your vehicle, or a tent adjacent to the carpark.

'No overnight parking' on the other hand would suggest you can't leave an unattended vehicle overnight.

So by the wording of that sign I would assume you're fine to go off on the hill and leave the vehicle unattended whilst sleeping at the hut, or doing a late night walk.

gravy 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

I can't remember the exact wording but the graphics implied no car/van camping or putting up a tent in the car park and there were further instructions asking people to camp away from the vicinity. I think there was something saying the car park was for day use only. This was all "asking" and not telling with penalties or menaces and there were no official parking type legal notices anywhere at the weekend.

S Andrew 20 Jun 2023
In reply to gravy: But asking will inevitably become telling when people ignore it.

hutchymh 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

Posting this from the North face car park - can confirm no payment right now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...