Hookless MTB tires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RankAmateur 03 Apr 2022

I've been idly noodling about building a carbon MTB from scratch (never mind all the other unfinished projects... no you shut up)
I've come across the concept of the hookless tubeless wheel, and liked the look of a 29er with 30mm internal diameter.

However... I have utterly failed to find an MTB tire that appears to be hookless compatible with the exception of the Specialized Sawtooth, which has an unusual tread pattern.

All I can find is stuff about road tires, even though this is supposed to be a proven technology on MTBs

What am i missing? Who makes hookless MTB tires?

Tim Bevan 03 Apr 2022
In reply to RankAmateur:

Pretty sure it's just the rims that are hookless and any tyre will work. Why not have some class and build a steel bike though?

tomsan91 04 Apr 2022
In reply to RankAmateur:

My Cube stereo came with the Newmen hookless rims, normal tubeless mtb tyres work on them fine. 

OP RankAmateur 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Tim Bevan:

Steel is easy. I have a hammer - no other tools needed.

crayefish 15 Apr 2022
In reply to RankAmateur:

Why would you want hookless for mtb?   Hooks are handy, not just for tyre retention, but also for surviving rim impacts when you're running low pressures.  The weight also tends to be less significant than on a road bike (mtb tyres are very heavy these days).

Tyres are generally compatible with hotness rims unless otherwise stated.  Vittoria I know are bad with this... many are not compatible.  However, my Schwalbe tyres don't say you can't... 

OP RankAmateur 18 Apr 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Because people are selling hookless MTB rims, so I assumed that hookless MTB tyres were a thing as well. Which it turns out they're not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...