SKILLS: Sustainable Gear: Caring for Your Waterproof

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Looking after our gear is one of the simplest ways to help reduce our environmental footprint; and it doesn't get much more fundamental than washing and reproofing. Here we explain how to keep your shell performing at its best for longer.

Read more

Sean Kelly 10 May 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

No dry tumble Dan? I'm sure that I have seen this advised for reproofing. But if you do, don't overdo it or your jacket will be cooked in more ways than one!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

You maybe missed this bit Sean? 

If the care label allows, it's possible to tumble dry your shell; but air drying works fine too, and saves energy.

I used to tumble dry fairly religiously, but apparently air drying works as well with current TX Direct

Frank R. 10 May 2024
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It used to be that PFC‑based DWR required elevated temperature to realign the polymer chains or whatever, hence tumble dry or careful ironing was required.

Seems that's no longer the case with non‑PFC‑based DWR nowadays, although that might depend on the exact formulation. Read the instructions on the bottle.

Post edited at 12:18
 Frank R. 10 May 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

> It used to be possible to launder your waterproof clothing once in a blue moon

That's actually never been true. Even ePTFE like Gore Tex very explicitly required very frequent washings, as any grime and sweat residue would compromise the hydrophobicity of the membrane's pores (their hydrophobicity is the main thing keeping its high hydrostatic head), rendering it less effective and even potentially leading to leaking, in extreme cases.

Sean Kelly 10 May 2024
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> You maybe missed this bit Sean? 

> If the care label allows, it's possible to tumble dry your shell; but air drying works fine too, and saves energy.

> I used to tumble dry fairly religiously, but apparently air drying works as well with current TX Directs

That's the problem with skim reading Dan. Tragically my wife's goretex jacket was somehow locked in a tumbler dryer that refused to open . Cooked is describing it mildly!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...