Are Decathlon rock climbing shoes any good?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Hi all, I am in a quest for finding my perfect rock boots.

Ever since five ten became crap thanks to the Adidas  think tanks. I have become a climbing  shoeless person. 

I have bought katana velcros  and they are somewhat  fine, but they are not quite right, I bought them small and feet become numb during a 25m+ pitch. I also find them less sensitive  than I would've  liked.

Having forgotten  my boots one day, I tried a pair of old resoled decathlon boots  a mate had, thinking they were going to be rubbish I put them on and was pleasently surprised. The fit was similar to the original anasazi  pinks and the friction  was as good as expected  from the vibram sole.

Any of you wear decathlon  rock boots out there?.

There are other perks, the price, and people expect  you to be a beginner, which is excellent.

Cheers

jdh90 08 May 2024
In reply to Dago theruinmargalef:

I have the fluoro green velcro ones and like them.  Climbing about 6b/6c.  Liked them enough to talk my girlfriend into getting a pair, and our mate just got some for his teenager on our recommendation. Been using them for a few years and they've lasted well.

Was first attracted to the price.  Had to swallow the bitter pill that technique and fitness was probably more limiting to me than my shoe technology.  Quite liked the idea that I might subvert expectations by climbing better than a "beginner" shoe (although these are Dec's Expert model), rather than puntering about in a big name top model.

I like that I'm not sandpapering the toes off an expensive shoe at the wall.  I find them comfy for long routes, good friction.  Had to go down a size for secure fit, and I wear with a thin sock. Definitely recommend trying them on in store since there seemed to be some manufacturing variation between pairs of the same size.  Not quite as good as my scarpa vapour lace on small edges, but probably better on smears due to being that wee bit softer.  Now both pairs of shoes are getting a bit worn out at the toes, I'll be looking to resole the scarpas and just buy a new pair of decathlon. Happy enough that I dont really mind which pair land in my bag when going out.

Jimbo C 08 May 2024

My first pair of rock shoes was from Decathlon. They were certainly a big step up from the trainers I had been using but I did replace them after only a few months for some Sportiva Barracudas, which were better again (although not as big a step up as the one from trainers to Decathlon rock shoes). Perhaps I over-sized my first purchase, or the rubber they used then wasn't as sticky as vibram, I don't think I wore them out.

johnlc 08 May 2024

The last time I was in the French Alps, I was really surprised by the amount of Decathlon stuff that was being worn.  Everyone - guides, old hands, newbies.  I had always dismissed the brand as being, well, French Regatta but it looks like the joke is on me.

I expect that their rock boots are actually pretty good.

(Sorry Regatta)

I like the Simond blue & yellow varieties.... the velcro type are my grit shoe, & the lace-up type are my precision-type shoe. Worn my way through 6 pairs over the last 8 years or so, but at 1000+ pitches a year, they last well enough. I am particularly pleased with the (more) reasonable price. I don't think a more expensive shoe would improve my ability 

GrantM 08 May 2024

I've had a few pairs of the blue/yellow Vertika with Vibram soles & thought they were great. The price has crept though, I got a pair on sale last year but it looks like they've been discontinued. Got them for indoor climbing to save my Scarpas but at the grade I climb there was no real difference indoors or out.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I will see how they fit next  time I go to Decathlon. 

Cheers

Does anyone know who manufactured the shoes for decathlon? 

I know Cousin do the ropes.

Fellover 09 May 2024

I like them. That said they've updated the range since I bought any, so I don't know about the new ones. The new ones are still good value, but not as amazingly good value as they used to be.

My shoes for most 'hard for me' stuff are Simond Edge 2 (now called Edge slipper on the website), I like them so much that when it seemed like they were discontinuing them I bought about 6 pairs.

I also had two or three pairs of the Vertika Strap in a size I could wear with socks, they were pretty comfortable (and I felt performed well), did some very long days wearing them.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...