The schedule for the 2017 Kendal Mountain Festival has been announced with some big names and exciting events including the all-new literature festival.
For climbers and mountaineers we have none other than Adam Ondra, fresh from completing the first 9c and arguably the best climber in the world. We are excited to have Adam join us for a stand-alone session on Friday night. Other climbing must-dos include:
- Paul Ramsden - a standalone session with one of Britain's foremost mountaineers Paul.
- Pete Whittaker & Tom Randall - aka The Wideboyz will be joining us to share tall tales from their latest exploits climbing some of the most exciting crack projects in the world.
- Black Diamond Alpine Session - back for 2017, the Black Diamond Alpine session aims to entertain and inspire with a packed session of guest speakers and film screenings. This year, on stage we have Fanny Schmutz reliving extreme alpinism in the Garhwal Himalaya alongside Andy Houseman.
- Jim Herrington, The Climbers - nearly 20 years in the making, US music photographer Jim Herrington launches his book of stunning portraits of climbers and mountaineers from the Golden Age in this exclusive UK launch.
In a new session for 2017, we are excited to present the Mammut Mountain Speed Session with special Swiss guests - speed climber Dani Arnold and big mountain skier Jérémie Heitz.
For bike lovers we have world record breaking cyclist Mark Beaumont, fresh from his successful and unbelievable 'Around the World in 80 Days' cycle ride. Our infamous Bike Night will also return and is presented by Lee Craigie.
Other fantastic events include:
- The Alpkit Outdoor Swimming Session, celebrating achievements in swimming, featuring Beth French, Jenny Landreth and Tanya Shadrick.
- The Ortovox Snowsports Session will return with big mountain skier-of-the-moment Jérémie Heitz.
- Patagonia Adventure Activist Tour - featuring renowned climber and Patagonia's vice president of environmental affairs Rick Ridgeway and Olympic rower, world class
- Family Adventure Sessions - following the success of these FREE family sessions last year, we will be running these again on Saturday and Sunday morning.
- Petzl Underground Session - presenting 'Under the Borneo Rainforest' with special guests.
- Lowe Alpine Adventure & Exploration Session - expect to be thrilled with tales of epic adventure with Jenny Tough and Ben Page.
- Film premieres of Bonington: Mountaineer, followed by a Q&A with Chris Bonington and Psychovertical - based on Andy Kirkpatrick's autobiography
For 2017, we have extended our Literature offering, to over 20 events!
- Sir Chris Bonington will talk about his memoir, 'Ascent'
- Bernadette McDonald speaks about writing her Boardman Tasker-shortlisted book, Art of Freedom: The Life and Climbs of Voytek Kurtyka.
- Dr Fiona Edmonds, explores mountain-names and myths in Medieval Cumbria.
- Author of 'The Times Britain's Best Walks', Christopher Somerville talks about his new book, 'The January Man'.
- Antonia Bolingbroke-Kent, talks about her thrilling and dangerous 2,000 mile journey across Arunachal Pradesh.
- Nick Hunt explores walking the invisible pathways of Europe's local winds
- Emma Henderson brings us her entrancing novel 'The Valentine House
- A Festival youth hostel in partnership with the Kendal Judo Club
- Festival packages including hotel accommodation - selling fast
We have had nearly 300 entries to the Film Competition and the selection process is underway!
Kendal Mountain Festival is by far the largest and most varied event of its type in the world - it is also the main social event for outdoor enthusiasts in the UK.
'Kendal' is one of the leading festivals of its kind in the world. It is an internationally-known event, attracting film premieres from around the globe. Film makers, TV producers, adventurers, climbers and world-class lecturers gather to take part in four packed days of the very best films, speakers, books and exhibitions covering all aspects of mountain and adventure sports culture. It is also the main social event for outdoor enthusiasts in the UK and 2016 will be our 17th straight year.