- Hours: Full-time (37hr/wk)
- Salary scale: £26,835 – £31,266 depending on experience
- Location: Perth, Scotland (some hybrid working available)
- Closing date: 5pm Mon 22 August 2022
- Interview date: Fri 2 September in Perth
It's an exciting time for Mountaineering Scotland – and this role is at the forefront of telling the story of our organisation, our activities and our members, and celebrating some of our country's best loved and most precious environments.
More people than ever are taking up hill walking, climbing, mountaineering and ski touring in Scotland's world class mountains and climbing venues. That means our communications need to be at their peak – across multiple platforms and channels to inform and engage as many people as possible and grow our community. As part of the Member Services & Communications Team, you will have an important and dynamic role in raising awareness and visibility of the work of Mountaineering Scotland, developing our digital channels and helping us deliver the aims and outcomes of our new strategy for 2022-25.
You'll achieve this by engaging with new audiences as well as existing members and clubs through social media, web, PR, print and email marketing.
The main purpose of the role is to:
- Raise and enhance the profile of Mountaineering Scotland as the leading organisation for anyone interested in mountaineering activities.
- Shape and deliver communication activities supporting our 2022-2025 Strategic Framework.
- Lead on proactive content creation appropriate to different channels including digital platforms, Scottish Mountaineer magazine and other key publications.
- Develop our growing digital and social media presence, website and email marketing.
- Act as an authoritative source of specialist advice and guidance for colleagues.
- Actively promote equality, diversity and inclusion in mountaineering-related disciplines.
See our website for the full job description.
Essential attributes and skills
- Proven track record and experience in a communications, PR, marketing or digital role.
- Use of communications channels in a professional capacity, including social media, email marketing and web to deliver marketing and/or educational campaigns.
- Creating, editing and tailoring written and visual content for a wide range of audiences for publications, marketing materials and digital channels.
- Experience of working in a team, with proven ability to work collaboratively and form effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of updating websites using content management systems, preferably with a working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Articulate and confident, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, with ability to work on own initiative, take direction and work to tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage a busy workload with competing priorities.
- Creative thinking, excellent attention to detail and strong eye for design.
- Experience of planning, creating and scheduling content for social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.
- Confidence and competence using and learning IT and digital communications tools including Mailchimp (or similar), image/graphics and video editing software (eg Canva, Adobe Creative Suite) and web content management systems.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office, Outlook, Teams
- Understanding of the media landscape including relevant print, broadcast, and online platforms as well as social media.
- Awareness of social media and other digital trends.
- Understanding of data protection legislation and practice in relation to communications activity.
Desirable attributes and skills
- An interest in and understanding of the work of Mountaineering Scotland, mountaineering and related issues.
- Member of Mountaineering Scotland.
- Experience of or interest in producing newsletters, journals or magazines.
- Advanced user of Adobe creative suite especially Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere Pro.
- Video production and editing experience.
- Experience creating podcasts/audio content.
- Experience of producing online events/webinars.
- Managing online advertising campaigns eg Google Ads, Facebook.
- Understanding of Google Analytics and other insights platforms to measure and improve effectiveness of communications.
- Journalism, blogging or other writing experience.
How to apply
The full job description and person specification along with application form can be downloaded from the Mountaineering Scotland website.
Please complete the application form and and equalities monitoring form and send by email by 5pm Monday 22 August 2022. Please note that CVs not accompanied by a completed application form will not be accepted.
Interviews will take place on Friday, 2nd September at the Mountaineering Scotland head office in Perth.