With winter just around the bend, the Mountaineering Council of Scotland (MCofS) is laying on a series of mountain safety lectures for hillwalkers and climbers. They're free.
The 'entertaining but informative' illustrated mountain safety lectures are being delivered around the country by leading mountaineering safety experts.
Heather Morning, Mountain Safety Adviser with the MCofS, said:
'Winter mountaineering can be hugely rewarding and enjoyable, but at the same time it can present big challenges.'
'These talks will show both the good and the bad and give people an idea of the sorts of skills and equipment they need to acquire if they are to head into the mountains this winter.'
As in previous years the MCofS has partnered with retailers Cotswold Outdoor and Tiso, Scottish Walks Magazine, The Mountain Café in Aviemore and The Munro Society to deliver the seasonal talks.
Lectures through November and January will be presented by Heather Morning.
They'll focus on essential skills for people heading out into the Scottish winter mountains - navigation, avalanche awareness, route choice, equipment, weather and much more. The talks are illustrated by beautiful photography and videos, and full of personal anecdotes, say the MCofS.
A further two lectures will take place in February 2015 at The Mountain Café in Aviemore, one by Mountain Instructor Di Gilbert and the other by mountain rescue legend ‘Heavy’ Whalley.
Demand is expected to be high, so places should be booked in advance either by calling in at the venues or by phone.
- Wed 12Nov 2014 7.30pm - Cotswold Outdoor Store, Aberdeen (01224 593639)
- Fri 14Nov 2014 7.30pm - Cotswold Outdoor Store, Stirling (01786 241200)
- Wed 19Nov 2014 7.30pm - Tiso, Edinburgh Outdoor Experience (0131 554 0804)
- Thu 20Nov 2014 7.30pm - Tiso, Glasgow Outdoor Experience (0141 559 5450)
- Tue 25Nov 2014 7.30pm - Tiso, Longman Industrial Estate, Inverness (01463 729171)
- Thu 27Nov 2014 7.30pm - Tiso, Highland Gateway, Perth (01738 634464)
- Tue 20Jan 2015 7.30pm - Cotswold Outdoor Store, Partick Glasgow (0141 357 5353)
- Wed 21Jan 2015 7.30pm - Cotswold Outdoor Store, Edinburgh (0131 464 9991)
- Wed 11Feb 2015 8pm – The Mountain Café, Aviemore (01479 812473) (Lecture by Di Gilbert)
- Wed 18Feb 2015 8pm - The Mountain Café, Aviemore (01479 812473) (Lecture by Heavy Whalley)