Members of the Mountain Bothies Association (MBA) are getting geared up for a busy year of bothy maintenance, and they're always looking for more volunteers to help out.
This year the MBA's projects include:
- New bothies in the Kielder forest in the north of England and the Elan valley in Wales
- The rebuilding of Glen Dubh-lighe bothy near Glenfinnan which was destroyed by fire in 2011 (see UKH news here)
- Major work parties at a number of Scottish bothies including Shenavall, Kinbreak, Invermallie, Uags, Strathchailleach, Uisinis, and Over Phawhope
- Work at Faindouran in the Cairngorms where a chimney stack and wall was blown down in a winter storm (see UKH news here) and where continuing bad weather has made it impossible so far to assess the full extent of the damage
- Ongoing maintenance at many other of the 100 or so bothies that are cared for by the Association
'The Association doesn't just need expert builders, joiners and painters at work parties- there are jobs available that anyone can tackle' says an MBA spokesman.
Anyone interested in joining the Association or simply helping out at a work party is invited to contact the MBA. For contact details and info on upcoming work parties see the MBA website.