The Montane Lakeland 50 is one the greatest ultra running and walking challenges in Europe. It is run over the second half of the Lakeland 100 UTLD, completing the final 50 miles of the 100 course. As it's only half of the Lakeland 100 course it's the easy option.. right? That's the first and worst error you could possibly make.
The route starts from the Northern end of Ullswater within the grand Dalemain Estate before following the Eastern shoreline as far as Howtown. A quick climb and descent followed by a trek along the banks of Haweswater sees you at Mardale Head. The route from here visits Long Sleddale, Kentmere, Ambleside, Langdale and Tilberthwaite before the final climb and descent to the finish at Coniston. It is a truly amazing route and you will visit places that you never knew existed, places which are ignored by the masses..
metres / Distance
NY4776327110 START Dalemain House
NY4434619628 CP1(9) Howtown Bobbin Mill
NY4681510662 CP2(10) Tent in Car Park at Mardale Head
NY4557204200 CP3(11) Kentmere Institute
NY3767104379 CP4(12)LakesRunner, Ambleside
NY3184705353 CP5(13) Marquee to R of track, Chapel Stile
NY3063601242 CP6(14) Tent in Car Park at Tilberthwaite
Start Dalemain House, NY477269; Finish John Ruskin School, Coniston, SD302974
Terrain: Varied but often rough terrain with approximately 3100m of ascent to deal with.There are 6 manned checkpoints on the course which are compulsory to visit, food and drink is available at each.
Our support team will greet you and feed you before sending you in the direction of Coniston.
Public transport: All competitors register, park, camp (if required) at Coniston and are taken by coach to the start at Dalemain
Guidebooks: We have copies of the Harvey 1:40,000 course maps available for purchase following the 2011 event. The map is a full 1:40,000 Harvey map of the Lake District with the route pre-marked on waterproof paper. Whilst stocks last, we will also send a waterproof copy of the appropriate road book, which is a written description of the route, step by step
Event date: 12noon Saturday 28th July 2012
Entry fee: £70 per competitor to include:
1. 2 nights camping and parking (one car and one tent per competitor). Camping is available Friday and Saturday (if required). If you wish to arrive earlier than Friday there are local campsites in the Coniston area but camping is not available at the school. There are toilets and showers available at race HQ from Friday through to Sunday afternoon.
2. Waterproof road book (written description of the route).
3. Harvey 1:40,000 waterproof map of the Lake District with the route and checkpoints pre-marked.
4. Food and drink at each checkpoint on the route (specifics will be provided closer to the event).
5. Quality Montane event technical T-Shirt.
6. Finishers medal (that's the one thing you don't get 'in advance').
7. Finishers meal at race HQ.
8. For 50 mile competitors, coach transportation to start at Dalemain.
9. Medical support from race doctors and physio team.
10. Live event monitoring for you and your family / friends throughout the event.
11. The opportunity to attend the pre-event recce days (for competitors only).
What's the terrain like? It recommends trail shoes rather than proper fell running shoes for the 50, as it has hard paths. It is still muddy footpaths, or does it stray onto manicured cycle path-style motorways at all?
Yes, the terrain has a bit of everything. Some short sections of grassy & boggy 'fell', but mostly it is dirt/rocky paths you are following. Also small sections of tarmac. This year I saw runners wearing everything (including Five Fingers!), but I'd suggest a trail shoe with a bit of support, and grippy rubber for all the rocks. True fell shoes would be over-the-top IMO, and pretty hard work over that sort of distance.