Altitude 210m a.s.l
The Westbury or Bratton White Horse is a hill figure on the escarpment of Salisbury Plain, approximately 1.5mi (2.4km) east of Westbury in Wiltshire, England. Located on the edge of Bratton Downs and lying just below an Iron Age hill fort, it is the oldest of several white horses carved in Wiltshire. It was restored in 1778, an action which may have obliterated another horse that had occupied the same slope. A contemporary engraving from the 1760s appears to show a horse facing in the opposite direction that was rather smaller than the present figure. There is however, no documentary or other evidence for the existence of a chalk horse at Westbury before 1742.
The horse is 180 feet (55m) tall and 170 feet (52m) wide and has been adopted as a symbol for the town of Westbury, appearing on welcome signs and the logo of its tourist information centre. It is also considered a symbol for Wiltshire as a whole
From the A350 North bound into westbry follow into the town on to the B3098 and then take a right down newtown east bound. after a cupple of miles take a left at the cross roads towards the parking area.
|There are no comments from visitors to this hill.|