Classic ridge climbing providing unique views of Napes Needle. Start in the gap between the needle and main cliff.
1) 12m. Ascend a polished slab and then the wide crack/chimney to a ledge and belay.
2) 20m. Climb the steep wall via a crack, then continue up easier ground to a grassy col and belay under a chimney.
3) 14m. Climb the chimney and move left and up to a ledge.
4) 36m. Move up the corner and step left below an overhang to a crack that is followed to a belay on the ridge. Alternatively, move right below the overhang and up to the ridge.
5) 40m. Move easily along the ridge to the descent line. © Rockfax
UKC Logbook Description
Excellent, safe climbing in superb surroundings on good though polished rock. Start from the gap directly behind the Needle.
1.) 12m, climb the very polished slab above to a chimney that trends left to a stance below a steep wall.
2.) 15m, the steep wall above, followed by easier rocks, leads to a broken wall. Climb the wall, then traverse 7m right to the rib.
3.) 25m, follow the rib above, then easy rocks to a corner which is climbed on the right.
4.) 12m, climb the groove on the left. Alternatively, climb the groove for 3m, then traverse right under the overhang and finish straight up.
5.) 33m, easy scrambling to the top.
WP Haskett-Smith (solo) Sep/1884.
Classic Rock, CUMC Ticklist, Lakeland's Best Multi-pitch Routes up to HVS, Mountaineering Routes in the Lake District, Lakeland's Greatest Pioneers, The Ridges of England, Wales and Ireland, The Original 'Classic Rock' List, The Long Routes, UK Holiday Plans, "First Steps" Arc'teryx Lakeland Revival 2019 Ticklist, Steve Ashton's 100 Classic Climbs The Lake District, Lake District Classic Rock Challenge, Mountain Rock, ROCKFAX Lake District: Top 50, Lakes Classic and Hard Rock Selection, A Lakeland Apprenticeship, Snowdonia and The Lakes Classic Rock Summer Challenge, Rock Stars Trad Routes
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents