This classic outing has some great scrambling and is usually climbed in combination with something else. Most start up The North Ridge of Tryfan and down The South Ridge of Tryfan to reach Bwlch Tryfan. You can also make a more leisurely approach up Cwm Tryfan, Heather Terrace or up past Cwm Bochlwyd to reach the same point without any other scrambling. From Bwlch Tryfan, go up a path on the western side that zig-zags up to the base of the buttresses at the start of Bristly Ridge.
1) Just in from the drystone wall is a line of weakness that leads up and right below the base of two gullies. Move back left and climb the left-hand gully which has some sustained sections - this is known as Sinister Gully. The right-hand gully is the harder and looser Dexter Gully and is best avoided.
2) Just before the end of initial buttress, make a tricky move up and left out of the gully to the edge and go up to the top of the buttress. A harder direct option can be taken here.
3) Easy scrambling leads up the more-defined ridge to the first of several pinnacles (the 'Bristles' in the name) which is passed on its right.
4) Continue up the ridge which is straightforward until the larger more dominating pinnacles.
5) Negotiating these pinnacles provides several interesting sections. At the first, go up and over the pinnacle near its left-hand side as you approach. This leads to an exposed gangway down to Great Pinnacle Gap.
6) The second pinnacle, known as Great Pinnacle, is passed more easily on its right-hand side to another col.
7) From the col, tackle the final steep section of ridge up to the summit plateau of Glyder Fach and a junction with the Eastern Gully of Glyder Fach.
8) Walk up to the summit from here. When you are just past a jumble of large boulders, look back to see the infamous Cantilever Stone.
Descent - Either head down the East Ridge of Glyder Fach or go over the summit and descend y Gribin. Or link-up with other scrambles like Senior's Ridge. © Rockfax
Scrambles in Snowdonia - Steve Ashton , North Wales Scrambles - Garry Smith , 10 Year Walking And Scrambling Challenge , Snowdonia Mountain Walks and Scrambles - Mark Reeves , Winter Scouting missions , British 3 Star Scrambles , Snowdonia *** Scrambles , Gwen Moffat: Space Below My Feet
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents