Yellow Snow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 17 Dec 2017
I don't post much, but after yesterday, I felt I had to say something. I seem to recall this being posted a few years ago too, but anyway it needs saying......

Don't pi** on the path! Don't pi** right next to the path! Don't pi** right next to the watercourse that others may be filling their water bottles in!

I walked in to Stob Coire nan Lochan for a climb yesterday, and simply couldn't believe the amount of pi** in all the places above. Two yellow patches were actually ON the path itself. Judging by the sheer number of patches, there must be some incontinent s*ds out there, and by the colour, dehydrated ones too!

Move away from the bloody path, and as far from a water course as is practical, conditions accepted.

You dirty bu**ers!

.......rant over.............
 Gav M 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Any jobbies?
 planetmarshall 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Move away from the bloody path...

That's a whole different problem.
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:
Even away from the path when it's snowy, I'll brush over where I've peed with my boot to disguise that I've peed, it seems like a vaguely considerate thing to do. I don't suppose anybody is going to use snow with boot prints in to melt for water.
Post edited at 16:17
 BedRock 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

dog pee perhaps?
 Greylag 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

agreed but i think by the time the frozen piss finds its way in to the watercourse you'll be polishing off your summer trad rack.

this is more of a visual than an ecological / drinking water issue surely?
 wercat 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

are you a cat at heart?
OP JohnnyW 17 Dec 2017
In reply to BedRock:

No way. Nothing but boot prints. Human I am afraid
OP JohnnyW 17 Dec 2017
In reply to greylag:

Whatever it is, it's unwelcome surely
OP JohnnyW 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Even away from the path when it's snowy, I'll brush over where I've peed with my boot to disguise that I've peed, it seems like a vaguely considerate thing to do. >

Excellent, exactly what I do

> I don't suppose anybody is going to use snow with boot prints in to melt for water. >

No, but I saw patches actually on the snow kind of bridging the wee burn that you cross before you cut up the open gully into the lochan. It was actually becoming part of the burn as we crossed. Extraordinary, and has made me think more about where folks must be pissing when we can't as readily see the evidence!

Lusk 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Getting in a tizz about piss on a path, really?
When no-one's around, I do it, it's just a sterile fluid and gets tromped into the ground by countless boots.
And think about how much sheep piss and shit you must walk through when you're out and about.
 Pina 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:

With you on this. What's wrong with pissing on the path?
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:
> Excellent, exactly what I do

> No, but I saw patches actually on the snow kind of bridging the wee burn that you cross before you cut up the open gully into the lochan. It was actually becoming part of the burn as we crossed. Extraordinary, and has made me think more about where folks must be pissing when we can't as readily see the evidence!

I've never been to where you're talking about, btw, it's just something I've always done when peeing away from paths, from thinking about how much I like the change in landscape and how the urine stains stand out . I guess it partly depends on the concentration of urine in the snow, and how much snow people gather up to melt for water, how much one should be bothered? An impossible question to answer of course.
Post edited at 21:35
 Trangia 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Agreed. It's happening all the time, but you only see it when there is snow. The OP doesn't imagine people stop doing it when there is no snow?
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:
> Agreed. It's happening all the time, but you only see it when there is snow. The OP doesn't imagine people stop doing it when there is no snow?

You'd still hope that people wouldn't pee near water courses, though. It's not people peeing that bothers the OP, I think, but more that they leave visible evidence for others to enjoy on their walk through a beautiful landscape transformed by snow?
Post edited at 21:42
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:
> are you a cat at heart?

I'm a dog with aesthetic sensibilities.
Post edited at 21:43
 birdie num num 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Sorry about that. I’ve had a bit of a bladder infection.
 DaveHK 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:
> Getting in a tizz about piss on a path, really?

You can tell a lot about a society by its attitude to excrement. Those that get in a tizz about it are generally repressed, uptight and divorced from the realities of life.
Post edited at 22:00
 Jim 1003 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:
It's probably better you don't post a lot, this one's been a load of pish...
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:
> You can tell a lot about a society by its attitude to excrement. Those that get in a tizz about it are generally repressed, uptight and divorced from the realities of life.

On what psychology knowledge do you base that?
Post edited at 22:07
 Tobes 17 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Meh, it’s on the path to the two most popular winter climbing venues, probably in the whole of Scotland.

Go climb somewhere (anywhere!) else and it’s likely not to be an issue for you.
 Joak 17 Dec 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

With my ageing reduced capacity bladder, the trail of yellow snow begins in the car park.
 DaveHK 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> On what psychology knowledge do you base that?

>

Excrement is an inconvenient reality of life. Modern western society funnels it away so we don't need to come into contact with that inconvenient reality. We do the same with lots of other inconvenient realities like old age and death and as a result we feel discomfort when we come into contact with them, like the OP on their way to SCnL. Slavoj Zizek has a lot to say on this matter but then he has a lot to say on most things, not all of it worth listening to.
Post edited at 22:24
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:
On the other hand, given how disease spreads in areas where sanitation becomes difficult after a disaster, it would seem like an evolutionary beneficial trait to have, to have an aversion to excrement. From reading New Scientist, it seems that we have actually have strong emotional responses of aversion and disgust to things which might resemble blood and excrement and bodily fluids. I don't buy it, that people with an aversion to excrement can't deal with the reality that it exists, I think it's just hard wired from millions of years of evolution. I agreeably disagree.

I've definitely read of studies which looked into people's emotional reactions to anything which might appear to be excrement or bodily fluids. The Romans were among the first to twig about the link between excrement and being unwell, too, and took care to separate troops from where they defecated, towards keeping them healthy and well, which means it isn't a modern trait. Given it's link to diseases, it's a sensible/healthy response, to not like excrement.
Post edited at 22:43
 DaveHK 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

An aversion to potential pathogens is an evolutionary advantage but a societal abhorrence of bodily functions is surely not healthy? We all produce piss and shit so why get so upset at encountering it?
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:
> We all produce piss and shit so why get so upset at encountering it?

Because that's where the pathogens come from. It seems pretty logical to me?

Look into the studies done into people's emotional responses to certain colours and images, we're simply hard wired to want to avoid it, it would seem, and for logical reasons.

Post edited at 22:53
 DaveHK 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> Because that's where the pathogens come from. It seems pretty logical to me?

But no one is going to get ill from looking a piss on a path are they? If you're a New Scientist reader check out this week's article about how many of the thought processes that stood us in good stead in the past are hampering us today.
Post edited at 22:53
 Timmd 17 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> But no one is going to get ill from looking a piss on a path are they? If you're a New Scientist reader check out this week's article about how many of the thought processes that stood us in good stead in the past are hampering us today.

I've bought that issue. The point is, we're 'supposed' to dislike things like urine and excrement, because they're bad for us. Nobody is going to get ill from looking at urine stains, but we're supposed to dislike urine, which is where the OP is coming from in his dislike of the stains. Even if it's something he can rationalise, he's probably no different to the people in studies who have strong negative emotional responses to things which might be urine or excrement . Which is why I cover over my own pee stains, because I can't imagine that anybody enjoying the change in the landscape which snow brings would welcome coming across my yellow snow. There's bigger things to be bothered about, but it seems like a considerate thing to do, to not spoil somebody's ''Ah, nature - winter climbing'' reverie due to seeing my pee stains.

It only take a moment to cover them in the end, and it's no hardship to.
 French Erick 18 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Don't eat it is a sound piece of advice some old wise mountaineer once gave me. Except for that...'nough said.

Having a good rant always makes me feel better. I hope that worked for you too
 wercat 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Joak:

> With my ageing reduced capacity bladder, the trail of yellow snow begins in the car park.

Are you sure you aren't drinkng too much coffee? I find hot chocolate better in winter, less sweating and peeing
 wercat 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:
>It only take a moment to cover them in the end, and it's no hardship to.

that's what a cat in a garden would say
Post edited at 08:54
 wercat 18 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:
an aversion to other people's but not minding one's own helps territoriality

the OP does not like others "taking possession" of the path by marking it

come to think of it perhaps that is a way to take possession of a route
Post edited at 08:57
 ALF_BELF 18 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Love a nice glug of piss. Much better than a flask of soup on these cold days
Rigid Raider 18 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Humans pee while outdoors, shock.

Walk around your village and check out the big clumps of stinging nettles alongside footpaths, around gates and hedges. That's where nettles are enjoying the nitrates accumulated in the soil after a couple of centuries of casual pissing by people on their way home from the pub or walking to the town.
 nufkin 18 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

> I walked in to Stob Coire nan Lochan for a climb yesterday, and simply couldn't believe the amount of pi** in all the places above. Two yellow patches were actually ON the path itself

I've found the piss stains quite helpful when navigating out of the coire in a whiteout

> by the colour, dehydrated ones too!

It is quite startling how vivid some people's stains are. Berocca, perhaps?
 Alex the Alex 18 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

Its visual litter and takes two secs to step off the path and kick some snow over after. Im amazed at the difference in response between this thread and those on brushing chalk marks off. And the two are not miles apart, theyre both examples of common courtesy.
 NottsRich 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Alex the Alex:

I'm always amazed when people piss into a stream. It shows a complete disregard for one of the most vital resources humans (and all other life) have. Topped off one time by seeing someone take a dump off a tree branch into a river. Do that in drier places where people appreciate/rely on water more and you'd probably end up in the river with it...
Rigid Raider 18 Dec 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Off a tree branch? I'd love to have seen that performance.
Removed User 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Gav M:

> Any jobbies?

We announce this year's winner of the 'Best First Response' of 2017. General rounds of applause.
 Tobes 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Off a tree branch? I'd love to have seen that performance.

Pervert!
 JFT 20 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:

If it upset's you seeing yellow snow by the path I won't ruin summer walks for you by pointing out all the wee you will never see evidence of...
 Kafoozalem 21 Dec 2017
In reply to JohnnyW:
Couldn't resist: 2mins 23 youtube.com/watch?v=p-yRu5jbt3Y&

He went right upside the head of my favorite baby seal
Hit him on the nose, that's right
Hit him on the fin, yes
He went WHAP!
An' that got me just about as evil as an Eskimo boy can be...
So I bent down 'n I reached down 'n I scooped down
An' I gathered up a generous mitten full of the deadly...
Yellow snow
The deadly Yellow Snow from right there where the huskies go
(Over by Butzis' room)
An' then I proceeded to rub it all into his beady little eyes
With a vigorous circular motion....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...