WML Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Silverback38 31 Jan 2019

Morning all,

I’m hoping to do my WML but I’m unsure what rucksack to plump for. Everything I’ve read mentions a rucksack as for SML (which I have) but being slightly bigger? 

I have an osprey atmos (?) which I used for my SML exped but think it might be on the large side. 

What kind of size do most people generally go for; around 40-50L? If so, I’ve seen the Lowe Alpine 42L and the Lowe Alpine 40:50L which look quite nice. Unsure if I need to go for the extra room, as then I’ll fill it! Maybe not a bad idea with the extra food/clothes needed in winter conditions. 

I’m also pursuing my RCIA and would like to get into winter climbing (which would set me well with the WML and can help towards meeting the criteria - grade I routes etc) so from what I’ve read the Lowe Alpine bags are a good go to option. 

I suppose I’m just after advice on size, required features to look for etc. 

Any help, advice or suggestions are welcome to stop my rambling on. 

Cheers

Dean 

Dr.S at work 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Silverback38:

The well regarded Blue ice warthog 40l bags are on special via sports pursuit at the moment - would fit the bill.

OP Silverback38 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I remember seeing this bag a few years ago and looked really good. Having looked at some reviews, it appears some people have issues with fanstening the bag tight enough. 

Thanks for your reply though ????

jezb1 31 Jan 2019

I used a Black Diamond speed 40, but they prob come up a little large.

I would go between 40-50l, simple pack, no fiddly features to struggle with when you’re wearing gloves or can’t feel your fingers.

OP Silverback38 31 Jan 2019
In reply to jezb1:

Cheers mate, great point about being able

to use it with gloves 

girlymonkey 31 Jan 2019

I use a Deuter guide. I particularly like the full length zip, it means you can access stuff at the bottom of your bag (like first aid kit and group shelter) without having to empty the whole bag. 

ben b 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Agreed- great pack, except when half full when the lid is a bit flappy. Otherwise a roaring bargain at fifty quid from SportPursuit. 

B

Jonny 31 Jan 2019

I'm really happy with my Lowe Alpine Ascent 40:50. It's really comfortable, things stay fastened, and you can remove pad/frame/lid as required. Bomber too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...