Winter on it's way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevez 18 Dec 2018

Lot's of talk in the meteorological community about a major sudden stratospheric warming occurring soon.  This is what caused last winter's prolonged cold spell.

RunningInCircles 18 Dec 2018
In reply to stevez:

Crossing fingers...

felt 18 Dec 2018
In reply to stevez:

> meteorological community 

Where do they hang out then, and how can I see what they're saying? Or is it a closed shop?

mrphilipoldham 18 Dec 2018
In reply to felt:

Twitter!

DaveHK 18 Dec 2018
In reply to felt:

> > meteorological community 

> Where do they hang out then,

In the isobar.

felt 18 Dec 2018
In reply to :

Can I have a link please?

JRJG 18 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Take a bow ????

JRJG

FactorXXX 18 Dec 2018
In reply to felt:

> Where do they hang out then, and how can I see what they're saying? Or is it a closed shop?

Closed shop?
They'll be in the cloud surely?

MikeR 18 Dec 2018
In reply to felt:

Pretty strong signal for SSW now, see here 

http://www.wxcharts.eu/?panel=default&model=gfs,gfs,gfs,gfs&region=...

Shows the temperature in the stratosphere, sudden warming event occurring from around the 23rd December. This often preceeds a cold spell in Europe, usually occurring around a week or so later, be can be sooner.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/wind/sudden-stratospheric-warming

However, the affect this will have on the UK still very uncertain at this stage, but fingers crossed it will bring E or NE'ly winds and cold to the UK.

OP stevez 19 Dec 2018
In reply to felt:

Twitter is a good source. Type in #SSW and you'll find plenty of discussion about Sudden Stratospheric Warming and the splitting of the Polar Vortex, all of which is generally good news for winter climbers in the UK!

McHeath 20 Dec 2018
In reply to stevez:

> the splitting of the Polar Vortex

Amazing concept! Up till now I only had experience with the splitting of my Polar GoreTex (crampon accident).

Billhook 21 Dec 2018
In reply to stevez:

Every year without fail there are forecasts for prolonged cold spells,  deep snow,  and so on.  Lots of 'maybes", 'ifs & 'buts'.

Keep calm and carry on.

OP stevez 03 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

> Lot's of talk in the meteorological community about a major sudden stratospheric warming occurring soon.  This is what caused last winter's prolonged cold spell.

So a major Sudden Stratospheric Warming event occurred on 1st Jan. and the Polar Vortex has now split, so just a question now of whether what's gone on in the stratosphere effects our weather.  If it does, expect strong Easterly winds and snow in c.2 weeks time. Here's hoping.

planetmarshall 03 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

Here's the word from the Met Office on this - https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2019/01/03/is-there-another-beast-from-the-ea...

Post edited at 16:42
 Billhook 06 Jan 2019
In reply to stevez:

Keep calm and carry on.

profitofdoom 06 Jan 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> Where do they hang out then,

> In the isobar.

Or on Cloud 9

Max Hangs 06 Jan 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

That's just hot air...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...