Winter is coming!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 17 Oct 2019

Winter is coming!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1191855/UK-weather-forecast-snow-sto...

The Express sez: "A BITTER Arctic plunge triggered by two powerful weather systems set to converge this month threaten to thrust Britain into a near -10C (14F) autumn mega-freeze"

They do this every October to scare the old folk into buying the paper.  Their forecasts are always catastrophically wrong.

Northern Scotland may see one or two snowflakes, possibly three if I get up there.

Andy Hardy 17 Oct 2019
In reply to Pay Attention:

That express article is like the reports of the earliest swallow each summer.

Autumn just wouldn't be the same without it

OP Pay Attention 17 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

You've hit the spot with the Express Bingo!   Is there a similar one for the Borisgraph?

Post edited at 20:04
 felt 17 Oct 2019

Yes. No.

beardy mike 17 Oct 2019

Well, Pay Attention, I have a sneaking suspicion winter here in the Dolomites IS on the way... there’s a decidedly chill note to the air, we have bad weather on the way for the weekend - I think its a few days before a first ski tour on Marmolada....

OP Pay Attention 17 Oct 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks Mike.  There's great skiing on the Marmolada and the war museum is well worth a visit.   What's the situation in Sottoguda now?  Will it be open this year?  

Have you plotted more new routes?

GarethSL 17 Oct 2019

Skiing, water ice climbing and mixed started a couple of weeks ago here

The Express are well documented as consistently using fake meteorologists. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2015/apr/09/daily-exp...

Unfortunately the older 'newpaper generation' still buy into it. 

beardy mike 18 Oct 2019

Offically as far as I know, it will not be open. They've hardly even started sorting it out; indeed last time I looked in from the bridge ENEL who had been rebuilding electricity pylons above the gorge had biffed a load of trunks down which is not going to help anything - I'm a bit surprised as the region has been going to great lengths to clear the water courses of anything that floats! Unofficially, park at Malga Ciapela and walk in from the top. Not so crowded these days... Will go and have a look at what they are up to. I know a contract has finally been awarded for the clear up but I don't know when it's due to start...

As for new routes, I still have to finish up in the Prezzi Pazzo canyon, there's another couple of lines to go yet so maybe by the end of December I'll have done those? I sent you the webpage I constructed though didn't I?

mrphilipoldham 18 Oct 2019

Friday 25th is forecast to be sodding freezing as far down as the Peak District according to the ECMWF, with sustained cold across Scotland for a good few days. 

cb294 18 Oct 2019

Winter is going to be shit. I should sell my ice axes and by water skis, or something...

https://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/applications/seasonal-forecast/

edit: unfortunately NOAA seems to agree, their models promised a chance of a nice cold winter until recently...

CB

Post edited at 09:01
 beardy mike 18 Oct 2019
In reply to cb294:

I really hope that those charts are right. Sorry Scotland, I don't care... I'm 1500miles away and it says snow snow snow...

leon 1 18 Oct 2019
In reply to - Best summing up in easily understandable terms that Ive seen comes from Michael Hilton @ www.buxtonweather.co.uk

"Strolled past the newstands in Morrison's twice in the last week - on both occasions national redtop newspapers were headlining dire warnings about how "the coming winter will be long, hard and far colder than usual", and "snow expected soon" and "100 days of severe winter to come".
The only problem is that there is not a shred of evidence for any of this - but it does sell newspapers doesn't it!!
These predictions do not come from the Met Office or other legitimate forecasters. In fact, most genuine seasonal forecasting organisations in Britain show the exact opposite outlook this winter — a generally milder season thanks to lower pressure than normal in the Atlantic around Iceland and higher pressure than usual around the Azores, a pattern that generally drives mild Atlantic winds over the UK and much of Europe, although with more wind and rain.
It is worth emphasising that these outlooks only ever give an average picture over December, January and February. They also give only a rough idea of what the average weather patterns will be like for much of the time, so there can still be cold spells and snow between milder runs of weather. That means, for example, a place that usually gets 20 snow days may get just 10. There is one big unknown in these winter outlooks — they cannot make seasonal predictions of sudden and dramatic convulsions in the stratosphere. This is a phenomenon called sudden stratospheric warming, when the temperature of the stratosphere over the North Pole suddenly shoots up.
Weeks later that upheaval can sometimes feed down into the lower atmosphere and can turn our weather bitterly cold, as happened in the tremendous freeze and huge snowfalls at the end of 2010 - and had a hand in "The Beast from the East in early 2018."

Post edited at 09:26
 DerwentDiluted 18 Oct 2019

I do get visions of loads of Express readers battening down the hatches, stockpiling tinned peaches, sardines and statins.  Heading down the Anderson shelter with an electric blanket and their pension forecasts, hoping that the 3m snowdump won't knock anything off their house value.

oldie 18 Oct 2019

One of my favourite press concoctions was a Daily Express account of how British troops on motorbikes  attacked the Argentine forces at Goose Green in the Falklands (I was on honeymoon at the time and occasionally caught up with events with any paper available).

Mr. Lee 18 Oct 2019

Pretty sure the Express run a similar story every year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weather/734735/UK-weath...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weather/868795/UK-winte...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1034009/uk-long...

Given there was about a week's worth of winter conditions during the winter of 2016/7 I'm not sure the Express is a reliable source.

hang_about 18 Oct 2019

well, according to Metcheck it's going to snow in Sheffield on New Year's Eve which will be fun.

Removed User 18 Oct 2019

> Winter is coming!

> They do this every October to scare the old folk into buying the paper.  Their forecasts are always catastrophically wrong.

I suppose if it really did get cold they could survive by burning their copies of the Express.

wintertree 18 Oct 2019

The run up to winter - time for the Other Corbyn to get the headlines for a brief moment...

In reply to wintertree:

First snow of winter on the tops here InTorridon today. Glencoe ski centre webcams also showing a good dusting this morning

DerwentDiluted 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> I suppose if it really did get cold they could survive by burning their copies of the Express.

This is really irresponsible, a copy of the Express once ignited could really hurt someone trying to wipe their arse with it.

Mark Bannan 25 Oct 2019
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> This is really irresponsible, a copy of the Express once ignited could really hurt someone trying to wipe their arse with it.

I suppose if they used all their old issues as blanket-type insulation, they could still then safely wipe their arses with it afterwards.

Billhook 26 Oct 2019

Winters is coming.  Yes it happens every year.  But thanks for the info.

Root1 26 Oct 2019
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> This is really irresponsible, a copy of the Express once ignited could really hurt someone trying to wipe their arse with it.

Frankly I wouldn’t soil my arse with it.

Helvellyn is very white, and it's only October.

Fairly typical.

DC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...