Winter climbing in Wales, any good last year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab 10 Nov 2022

Been out of the loop for a quite a few years, and finally getting back into climbing, most importantly winter climbing.

Not sure how conditions have been in the country last couple of years, but wondering if Wales is still a destination. I climbed there bout 13 years ago, was barely doable even then. As its only a drive a way I would like to go there again if it gets in condition. Has anyone done any winter climbing there recently? Or should one just forget about Welsh winters?

Thanks

In reply to Scarab:

During 2020/2021 there were (briefly) some excellent conditions for those of us that could walk into the mountains. There's no guarantees and you either have to be very lucky or very flexible, or both, the catch anything in good nick.

LakesWinter 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Scarab:

Wait and see, go at short notice if it looks good. Last year was rubbish for proper winter climbing south of scotland

DaveHK 11 Nov 2022
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Wait and see, go at short notice if it looks good. Last year was rubbish for proper winter climbing south of scotland

It was pretty rubbish in Scotland too!

ianstevens 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Scarab:

I'd be a little wary here too - it appears to me that a lot of people will go out when there is a small bit of snow over otherwise un-iced rock/unfrozen turf, and claim winter ascents. A lot of the time when it is far, far easier to make ascents *without* axes/crampons.

TobyA 11 Nov 2022
 PaulJepson 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Scarab:

In Feb 2019 I had a cracking weekend doing Crib Goch and the Cyfrwy Arête. Ice probably harder to come by.

jethro kiernan 11 Nov 2022
 Dave Cundy 12 Nov 2022
In reply to Scarab:

I got out on Torpantau in the Becon Beacons, back in 2013.  Did Ironclaws as well.  That was it until 2018 when i did Torpantau again, in thawing conditions.

So yes, the odd thing can be done but in the current climate, I think you need to be headed towards Scotland, Norway or the Alps.  And even they aren't as reliable as they used to be.

Baron Weasel 14 Nov 2022
In reply to Scarab:

Last winter the jet stream deflected warm wet weather systems south of the Scottish border for most of the winter. 

The winter before was excellent in the lakes for those of us who live here and I understand it was good for those in walking distance of the hills who lived in Wales.

These things happen in cycles and it's best to be prepared for when it comes into condition but don't expect it to happen every year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...