Winter Climbing Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackob 06 Nov 2018

Looking for a pair of gloves for the upcoming season. I get really quite cold hands so as warm as possible really whilst being reasonably dextrous (looking to climb mainly V/VI) 

What do people reccomend?

Thanks

In reply to Jackob:

I find dexterity compromises warmth. Do you have warm belay mitts to pull over climbing gloves?

This is the system I use, others too.

Stuart

tjhare1 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Definitely climbing gloves + belay mitts. Climbing similar grades. I generally take a couple of pairs of climbing gloves (ME Super Alpine / BD Punishers) and then a pair of big mitts that you can clench fists in. I don't keep climbing gloves on at belays - take them off and shove them down my top to somewhere warm (pits usually).

As for recommendations for climbing gloves though... loads of people use punishers. I get on with them too, but do find them a little soaky-uppy. Mountain Equipment Super Alpine are on the thinner end, but are lovely to use - sticky, very dextrous, etc. Hence a pair of each for me - they complement well depending on the scenario.

jay lafferty 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Have a look at the Mountain Equipment range. 

In reply to jay lafferty:

Which gloves in particular?

Being a proud Scot, I have limited funds to purchase gloves, less than £40. In my experience, they don't last more than 20 routes, regardless of cost or technology!

Bought on sale, I currently have ME G2 Alpine, OR Vert, OR Stormsensor gloves. 

Regards

Stuart

OP Jackob 06 Nov 2018

Yes this is the system I use too. I have some lovely warm Montane Extreme Mitts to use when im belaying. I used to have some Rab gloves but i have somehow lost them somewhere between seasons, not too fussed as i never found them too warm. Tempted to treat myself to a couple of pairs of gloves like @tjhare1 has suggested.

jay lafferty 06 Nov 2018

Iv been using the randonee Gaunlet and standard randonee glove last few years and just invested in some of the newer ones. The lining is thick pile and stitched in so doesnt come out when you take them off and stays warm even when damp also the quality of the leather is also good and can take a beating  they are abit pricey tho 

Misha 06 Nov 2018
In reply to tjhare1:

Same as you except for routes with more than a couple of technical pitches I usually have two pairs of punishers and two pairs of super alpines so as to have dry gloves available, particularly on those 'full on weather' days. The super alpines are great for crux pitch(es) as they're more dextrous so easier to fiddle with gear. Also worth having liner gloves to go with your big belay mitts.

Post edited at 19:20
 Pay Attention 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

I'd recommend a pair of work gloves I got in a New Hampshire hardware store for $10.  They were adequate for temps of minus 12 and the best value I've ever had from a pair of gloves.  I don't have the gloves with me at the moment so can't give you the makers name,

There are some freezer gloves on Amazon for about eight quid that serve a purpose.

Definitely take several pairs of gloves out each expedition.

If you look hard you can find a pair of gloves for nearly ninety pounds which may suit you better than four pairs for under £40. 

Post edited at 19:31
 blackcat 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:If not too cold i use mammut guide work gloves,fairly dextrous,though if its realy freezing i use a pair of sticky windy gloves with belay gloves over them, i find this works for me.

angry pirate 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Alpkit have a sale on their winter gloves at the mo. Tried some on the other day after a reccomendation on here and they fit like Rab gloves and are pretty dextrous for warmer gloves.

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 08 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Thin windstopper gloves for the walk in, Montane Prism Mitts for belays, Rab Alpine glove for climbing (or Rab Guide if an easier day).

I keep the pair that I'm not using stuffed inside my jacket, so even if they get damp they are warm when I put them back on. Windstopper ones go away for the day as soon as I gear up.

seanhendo123 11 Nov 2018
In reply to robertmichaellovell:

I use ME super alpines for crux pitches and previously RAB Baltoros as a thicker/seconding glove. Check out the new alpkit range, I only had a quick look/try in store but they all felt amazing and are well priced. I bought the Shuga as a belay glove and seems really good (only one route in so no long term knowledge).....they are also now on sale, annoying as I paid full price just a cpl weeks ago for the brief cold spell which has now disappeared!

Post edited at 15:17
 jethro kiernan 11 Nov 2018
In reply to seanhendo123:

Just ordered some Frazil gloves off Alpkit (in the sale) glad to hear their good quality 

Nick_Scots 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

It's worth trying out/experimenting with work gloves. As there a huge range of warmths and dexterity options. And they tend to be under a fiver !

Post edited at 18:27
 Ross McGibbon 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Nick_Scots:

Visit ARCO. They do workwear and have some cheap gloves designed for working in freezers. Warm inside and rubber on the outside for grip. They aren't the best at drying but 2 pairs of those will sort you out.

Nick_Scots 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

It's not me that needs them!

ElliottB 16 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

I love my BD Punishers. Mainly used them in Norway ice climbing. Also used to use Marmot XTs a lot, but wanted something a bit warmer. 

Post edited at 13:23
 Ramon Marin 16 Nov 2018
In reply to Jackob:

Another vote for ME Super alpine for technical leading. Belaying and seconding Arcteryx Alpha Goretex, bloody brilliant and worth every penny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...