Winter ambitions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gawyllie 28 Sep 2019

I'm away with work dreaming about the upcoming winter.

what routes have you got your eye on or whats your goal this winter?

Mark Bannan 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

Hi Graham! You probably have some idea about mine, but most other folk on here won't.

Best case scenario would probably involve a few of these corkers:

Temptress, Magic Pillar, Transept Groove, Raeburn's in early season nick, Look C, Diagonal Gully, Thompson's and Zero (or maybe even Hanging Garden - a bit of a "desert island route"!)

OP Gawyllie 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Some good routes in there Mark. Hopefully we get a winter for Hanging garden before long. Still not got over missing it in 2018!

mrphilipoldham 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

Absolutely anything in Wales!! 

olddirtydoggy 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

Goal for this winter is to have a winter.

I'd like to complete some routes on Great End in the lakes if it comes into condition. I'd also like to return to the Wastwater side of Scafell pike for a few more routes.

Mark Bannan 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

> Some good routes in there Mark. Hopefully we get a winter for Hanging garden before long. Still not got over missing it in 2018!

Yeah - fingers crossed for a good winter!

Andy Nisbet described the experience of climbing a route on the Dubh Loch thus:

"Afterwards, you may wish to retire, as a big route on the Dubh Loch converts the rest of Scotland to mediocrity".

I will never forget this description - having enjoyed a number of Ben Nevis classics, I am intrigued to know of a better venue than one which draws climbers from France and the USA every year! Maybe Martians climb at the Dubh Loch when nobody's looking!

andyinglis 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Mark Bannon:

Yeah doing a winter route on the Dubh Loch is special, and few places compare..... the ephemeral nature of the routes, being there on THE day, just getting to the route, then to hope that conditions are what they seem..... personally, it would be quite something to catch Golaith in nick and see up close what Andy and Neil experienced.

Only other venue I've finish a route and thought 'now I can retire' was Giants Wall on Beinn Bhan, which was an inspiring place to another sadly lost hero, MM. Maybe I would say the same after doing a route on Atlantic Wall, Foinaven or Beinn Lair....

Once in a lifetime routes and lost heroes, what a way start thinking about winter......

bouldery bits 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

A winter Abraham's round.

Also, lots of cake.

HeMa 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

I’m hoping to go out and actually climb something. 

DaveHK 01 Oct 2019
In reply to andyinglis:

Hit me with your suggestions for soft VIII's Andy...

And when you've done that I might be able to answer the OP.

Post edited at 07:10
 andyinglis 01 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I wouldn't say these are soft for the grade, but definitely not hard for the grade or likely to spanner yourself on them. I wont suggest routes that are debatably only VII's.....

Sundance

Hydroponicum

Arthur

Apache (before it gets icy)

Avenging Angel Direct (haven't don't it mind you...… yer partner has though!)

I think they would be up your street Dave and in nick most winters. I would have liked to suggest some more adventurous / remote / ephemeral ones...… but then you and Erick have been for a look at a few of them! 

Captain Solo 01 Oct 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Goal for this winter is to have a winter.

Make double figures and place an icescrew, neither of which I managed to do last season. Testament to a somewhat poor show all round for 2018/19.

gavmac 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

Great thread. 

I would love to climb more in the NW this winter. Not too worried about grade, just excited to get out with some great company and explore a few remote locations. 

Now based in Fort William, I’m excited to have the Ben and Glencoe on my doorstep. I’ve climbed very few mixed routes on Ben Nevis. Gargoyle Wall and Tower Face of the Comb would represent some worthy targets for me. 

OP Gawyllie 03 Oct 2019
In reply to gavmac:

I climb in the NW whenever im free and it looks like decent weather and conditions. Didnt make it over last season but was over there quite a bit the season before. Really is unrivalled when its good up there. Cant recommend it enough.

French Erick 03 Oct 2019
In reply to andyinglis:

> Only other venue I've finish a route and thought 'now I can retire' was Giants Wall on Beinn Bhan, which was an inspiring place to another sadly lost hero, MM. Maybe I would say the same after doing a route on Atlantic Wall, Foinaven or Beinn Lair....

> Once in a lifetime routes and lost heroes, what a way start thinking about winter......

Wow, I feel all happy. I have ticked something on 2 of the 4 magic list and attempted route on a 3rd!

Bring on winter. But my ambition is to have a satisfaying time in the hills with my mates. I would also like to prove to myself that I may belong to the VIII club by ticking 2 uncontroversial routes at the grade. I was going to say that I would rather be found dead in a ditch than... but that would drag politics where it doesn't belong!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...