Wind Direction/Speed and Crag Selection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CaelanB 13 Dec 2017
Hey Guys,

currently languishing in the midst of exam revision and dreaming of what to climb/where to go the second my exams finish. Obviously temperature and snowfall are very important for choosing a venue, though as I understand it wind direction is also essential. My questions are thus:

1) [roughly] what sort of wind speeds really start to have an effect on crag conditions? [I imagine wind direction also influences]

2) If I want to climb on a north facing crag, in theory strong northerlies would strip the buttress of snow and strong southerlies would dump a tonne of snow on the crag. How do crosswinds affect a crag?

Currently I'd love to head up north west when I'm free which feels a bit of a risky move at the moment considering I'd be one of the first to do so. Thus it'd be good to try and build a picture of conditions over the next few days. Also if anyone has any news of conditions in the ullapool/applecross area let me know!
 Michael Gordon 13 Dec 2017
In reply to CaelanB:

Sadly it's not as simple as all that. After all, rime forms in stormy weather where the crag is exposed to the wind. Generally I think temperatures hovering around zero is better for whitening a crag up (and for good conditions in general) than colder temperatures, as the air is more moist and snow/ice/wet/rime/ may get plastered onto the crag.
 Billhook 13 Dec 2017
In reply to CaelanB:

Like Michael said = it just isn't a simple as that.

Its fine in theory but the practice isn't always as good. I guess you could look in the logbook section a day or two before you go and see whats been done.
 NottsRich 14 Dec 2017
In reply to CaelanB:

> 1) [roughly] what sort of wind speeds really start to have an effect on crag conditions? [I imagine wind direction also influences]

Not sure, but above about 40mph it's definitely noticable to me and reduces enjoyment. 60mph make things quite unpleasant. The less the better. Then there's the spindrift. It's usually either falling down the route, or getting blown back up it (usually to fall back down again).

> 2) If I want to climb on a north facing crag, in theory strong northerlies would strip the buttress of snow and strong southerlies would dump a tonne of snow on the crag. How do crosswinds affect a crag?

As you said, wind on the crag strips it. If there's fresh snow then getting on a windy route makes it a bit easier (less swimming). If you're in the lee of the hill then you're more like to get unstable snow, and more swimming. On windy days, perhaps get on the lee side and climb the buttresses (careful on the snow slopes above and below the crag).
Crosswinds crossload gullies, which can lead to more unstable snow and swimming. And deep powder makes your hands cold too. On days like these the buttresses are probably better.

> Currently I'd love to head up north west when I'm free which feels a bit of a risky move at the moment considering I'd be one of the first to do so. Thus it'd be good to try and build a picture of conditions over the next few days. Also if anyone has any news of conditions in the ullapool/applecross area let me know!

Check the logbook on here. I usually have a few options of routes on a crag on a particular day, so can choose the best one when we get there. Sometimes it pays to choose a crag with multiple aspects too, or several nearby crags with a short walk between them.

French Erick 14 Dec 2017
In reply to CaelanB:

You're asking the right questions.
Rules will change with crags and humidity. Winds will sometimes strip or conversely hoar a crag up. Lots of variables that local knowledge built over time MIGHT allow you to occasionally get it right.
Some people are the ultimate opportunistic weather gurus... I'm not one of them and probably average a success rate of 70%.
Good luck in your winter climbing career. Part of its pleasure is getting it right!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...