What Route Did I Do (if any!)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 socrates2611 03 Mar 2019

Good Evening UKC, I'm looking for help identifying a route I took up Aonach Mor's west face. I don't know if it is a graded/named climb - or just a 'winter walk', but it certainly felt like it could be at least grade I.

I'm struggling to figure out how to post a photo so let me describe where it was. It was further south past the summit routes (e.g. Golden Oldy and Western Rib) where there is a small col at the base of the East Ridge of Carn Mor Dearg and a broadish gully that comes down from Aonach Mor. Just above Coire Giubhsachan on the map. It was the broadish gully that we followed up - and topped our at Seang Aonach Mor. It was a long snow gully which probably varied between 35 and 45/50 degrees. It started off pretty open and then narrowed substantially between two rock buttresses and then opened out again towards the top.

Any thoughts on what (if any) this route might be would be appreciated and apologies if what I've written is unintelligible! 

LakesWinter 03 Mar 2019
In reply to socrates2611:

I've got a photo topo somewhere in a really old edition of High magazine that might help?

TeeBee 04 Mar 2019

Can we do a naming competition if it is a new route?

beardy mike 04 Mar 2019
In reply to TeeBee:

Routey MacRoute Route?

subtle 04 Mar 2019

Did you take your hands out of your pocket - if not, it was a walk.

If you did, was it to rest you hand on a single alpenstock - if so it may have been Grade I territory - whether its a new route would be debate-able though.

As long as you had a good day though.

Post edited at 16:49
 nufkin 04 Mar 2019

Andy would have been bound to know

OP socrates2611 05 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Definitely don't think it was a new route - been chatting with LakesWinter and the route I went up is the route people take when linking Ben Nevis/CMD to the Aonachs

DaveHK 05 Mar 2019

>  the route I went up is the route people take when linking Ben Nevis/CMD to the Aonachs.

There is a pretty well defined path up this in summer. It's open to a bit of variation in winter but the general line is definitely in the winter walking class rather than graded climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...