Welsh Grade 1 scrambles this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Samseabass 31 Jan 2018

Morning all, looking for grade 1 scramble suggestions in Wales this weekend? It will be my climbing partner’s first winter route so want to get him hooked! Weather looks a bit more friendly on a Friday so hoping this will hold for Saturday. Cheers!

jezb1 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Samseabass:

More likely to find wet rock than winter conditions I think.

tradisrad 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Samseabass:

I'm thinking of heading round the horseshoe, petty classic and should be some snow by current forecasts! 

In reply to Samseabass:

Apart from a tiny bit of frost for the last 100m of Moel Siabod yesterday, there was not a single patch. 

tradisrad 31 Jan 2018
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:

Ah, not quite so promising then!

In reply to tradisrad:

Ah, it's still quality though. I packed my winter gear just in case, but it was excellent nonetheless!

OP Samseabass 31 Jan 2018
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks. I was looking at the MWIS report for the next two days which suggested today looks wet and miserable. Snow showers across Snowdon tomorrow and some around summit level Friday. Seems to warm up a bit tomorrow too and the freeze level moves from 500 today to 650 and higher Friday. Not sure how accurate the MWIS Report is however, as never used it before? Are you local to the area? 

In reply to tradisrad:

Could be a good shout! Crib Goch is always fun, I’ve only been there in the summer though. 

jezb1 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Samseabass:

There's a very light dusting high up today, not a lot. Sure you can still have plenty of fun though

In reply to jezb1:

Good to hear! 

Pay Attention 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Samseabass:

How about the Gribin round in idwal?

Always pleasant, not arduous and much interesting scenery. Crib Goch is more atmospheric though. ..

In reply to Samseabass:

Heavy snow forecast Saturday high up. Go to the met office website, tap in Tryfan, say, for a forecast at c.900m and you can see what conditions are likely to be.

Post edited at 16:52
In reply to wurzelinzummerset: Thanks, been checking both MET and MWIS to keep updated. 

In reply to Pay Attention:

Great mate, Looks good. Any ice in condition around Idwal? Prior to your suggestion I’ve been thinking of a walk in via Cwm Glas to scope out any gullies we could get our teeth into up onto Crib y Ddysgl, and if not walking round to Crib Goch via north approach. Have you been around there recently?? 

mrphilipoldham 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Samseabass:

Gullies won't be in after 2 days of snowfall..

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thanks Phil, that’s why I started the thread to get info on the conditions over there! 

john1963 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Samseabass:

Check out Owen mountain rescue website. There is a Webcam printing straight at Y Garn. Good indicator of current snow conditions.

john1963 31 Jan 2018
In reply to john1963:

Ogwen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...