/ Weather / winter outlook

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
duchessofmalfi 12 Jan 2020

Any mildly informed opinion about the prospects for Scottish winter climbing mid Feb?

From here (down south) the hills look black and the weather looks a bit miserable, hovering around 2-7C with various forms of damp, making the mid Feb prospects look poor unless there is an unexpected turn to winter cold.

mrphilipoldham 12 Jan 2020
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

There are signs of a colder second half of January according to various twitter weather folk. Only signs, but they're cautiously optimistic.

gravy 12 Jan 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Are you sure it's not toying with me?

In reply to gravy:

By the end of this week there will be a substantial build up of snow on the tops. Started today. Key will be what happens to weather thereafter. Very stormy this week.

duchessofmalfi 14:28 Thu
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Ohh - that's the second report I've had that it might be white...

Surely it's toying with me now?

OwenM 14:38 Thu

I went up to Spayside on Tuesday, it was quite white over the Cairngorms. But it's now peeing down, start building your arch type rain. Freezing levels above the summits.

gravy 19:09 Thu
In reply to OwenM:

Bugger, it is toying with me...

I'm not going you hear? I'm not going so it is ok to snow now. Arse!

Pefa 11:06 Sun

Snowing in the Cairngorms on Friday night and freezing up then and last night with ice on the A9 up to Aviemore a few hours ago. 

Michael Gordon 17:59 Sun
In reply to Pefa:

And due to be very warm next week. Neither of which has a huge amount of bearing on what conditions will be like mid-Feb.

Pefa 18:56 Sun
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> And due to be very warm next week. Neither of which has a huge amount of bearing on what conditions will be like mid-Feb.

It is the building blocks for future good conditions on North faces though, although I didn't know there was to be warmer weather next week. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.