Val di Fassa question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RKernan 20 Feb 2019

I'm looking for some advice on Dolomites ice. My wife and I are travelling to the Val di Fassa in a few weeks for a package ski trip (no hire car).
She's a strong rock climber but has never ice/Winter climbed before (I've done a fair bit) and would like to have a go - without committing to a trip. Since we live in Ireland, where we get ice about once every 7 years, this is difficult.

However, this ski trip might provide an opportunity to have a go, and I have loads of luggage space to throw in some kit. We're staying in Canazei - assuming ice conditions are OK, how difficult would it be to get to the ice without a car, and are there any relatively low-commitment (ie. not a full day) venues that we could get to?

perhaps a bit of a longshot, but I don't want to pass up the opportunity!

Post edited at 16:30
 LakesWinter 20 Feb 2019
In reply to RKernan:

Cascata di fontanazzo right hand is classic, just above the amazing cake shop behind fontanazzo. Directions on this site if you look the route up.

beardy mike 20 Feb 2019
In reply to RKernan:

You would need to go higher than Canazei - it's VERY warm here at the moment and things are getting hollow because of it. I was climbing around 1300m the other day and there was a lot of running water and hollow ice - quite scary. Corvara and Colfosco falls are apparently in good condition. I'm considering starting to go rock climbing it's so warm!

Pay Attention 20 Feb 2019
In reply to LakesWinter:

The cake shop was not open to the public when I was there in January.  Seems to be a factory rather than a retail outlet.

that said, the Fontanazza icefall would be a good introduction if in condition.  The initial parts are easy-angled.  There are bolt belays at the ends of each pitch.

Shag 22 Feb 2019
In reply to RKernan:

Agree with RK, definitely warm, the Fontanazzo was just OK last Sunday, but rapidly disappearing.  Took out a screw in the lower fall & water came out like a tap!

Upside:  The cake shop was deffo open, outstanding cakes, & hot chocolate machine, just the ticket sitting in the sunshine on benches outside!

beardy mike 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Shag:

To be honest, at the moment you could probably go and climb in Civazes in a t-shirt...

Shag 22 Feb 2019
In reply to RKernan:

Serrai di Sottoguda

sadly the Serrai di Sottoguda gorge was closed after severe weather before Christmas blocked the gorge with trees & boulders.

richgac 22 Feb 2019
In reply to RKernan:

The icefalls near Corvara (Spada di Damocle, Solo per Pochi, Lujanta, Pisciadu etc) were in good fat condition last weekend/early this week.  Around -6 overnight and cold enough in the shade during the day.  Val Trevananzes was also in good condition, but not so easy to get to without a car.  

OP RKernan 22 Feb 2019

Thanks all for the information. On the offchance that it does get colder, what is public transport (if any) like in the valley?

beardy mike 22 Feb 2019
In reply to RKernan:

There is the ski bus which is pretty effective or you can ski to your destination! For example corvara would probably take you 1.5 hours from Canazei...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...