The solution to post-holing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 06 Oct 2018

https://billygoattech.com/collections/frontpage/products/bgt-ascent-plates-...

Certainly worth a look for anyone doing lots of booting in to ski objectives this winter.

R

DaveHK 06 Oct 2018
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Are they for real?

Pay Attention 06 Oct 2018

Interesting.

Relatively light and certainly cheaper than conventional snow shoes.  However, they look like they may be inconvenient in soft deep snow.   What have experienced users said about the product?

Mr. Lee 06 Oct 2018

I wouldn't want crampons on whilst post holing generally. I'd just end up tripping over every rock, and it's not great for front point longevity.

DaveHK 06 Oct 2018

I'm struggling to see where they'd be of any use. If it's hard enough to need crampons then there's no need for snow shoes. If it's soft enough to need snow shoes then for the most part you'll be on your skis.

OP Roberttaylor 06 Oct 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

Funny, that's when I was imagining they'd be useful! Approaching gullies that loads of fluff has fallen down etc. 

Look like they might double as a deadman too, with a few holes drilled.

tehmarks 06 Oct 2018

As has been pointed out already, surely if you need crampons on you're very unlikely to be sinking up to your thigh in snow.

They sound inconvenient at best and bloody dangerous at worst.

DaveHK 06 Oct 2018

> Look like they might double as a deadman too, with a few holes drilled.

A useless bit of kit doubling up as another useless bit of kit does not make a useful bit of kit!

EwanR 06 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

They're intended for Alaska where one does need to climb up steep powder.

See Wildsnow for a full review: https://www.wildsnow.com/9899/billygoat-ascent-plates-review/

tehmarks 06 Oct 2018
In reply to EwanR:

Ah, so the crampon isn't integral? I can almost get my head around the plate, but wearing them with crampons seems...well, see my first post. But I have no experience whatsoever in the Greater Ranges, so I may well be talking out of an orifice not intended for talking out of.

Rick Graham 06 Oct 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Look quite useful

Looks to me like the crampon is the means of attaching the plate. You then have a snowshoe. A major bonus is extra support when climbing steeper snow covering ice.

Clever idea.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...