The kindness of winter climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Crimp Eastwood 20 Jan 2020

18th January,2020. Leading two novices up crotched gully (grade 2).  I set off up our first pitch after simul climbing the bottom half of the route,dimly aware of a pair above me, one engaged in some sort of Dave Macleod antics on a different route above, whilst the other enjoyed a chilly belay. I continue to huff up the route, held back by rope drag and my bad dietary decisions over christmas,still somewhat confused by the shards of ice falling on me from the belaying climber who appears stationary. 10 minutes of huffing later I arrive at the stance praying for something to chuck my hexes into,but any cracks I could see where as flared as a georgians trousers. Thankfully, the belaying climber spins around and cheerily points to a crack next to him which he has spent the last 10 minutes completely clearing for me whilst simultaneously belaying his partner. Two bomber wires and a powerpoint later life is good. Moral of this very long and convoluted tale that will probably be removed is a massive thank you to that happy climber from the lakes who gave me VIP treatment on what could have been a bit of a dodgy pitch. My faith in humanity has been strengthened, and I now expect nice clear cracks provided for me whenever I happen to be leading winter routes across Scotland in the near future.

Cheers!

DaveHK 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Crimp Eastwood:

He was probably just doing it to keep warm.

Edit: Your explanation is better.  

Post edited at 16:24
 ERB 20 Jan 2020

That kind person was my mate Wesley Orvis  but love your description of me though.

Wesley Orvis 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Crimp Eastwood: Hi mate, Nice to meet you, that was me. I knew the cracks were well iced up and gear tough to place so thought I would help you out a little. Glad you appreciated my gesture. Fantastic day and really nice to meet you  thanks for the thanks. Hope you had a good day too. Cheers Wes

Post edited at 18:37
 Wesley Orvis 20 Jan 2020

I don’t really check UKC very often nowadays but my climbing partner text me and made me aware of the post. My memories are all pretty negative of the forums. Thanks for a nice post sent my way. Not very common on here back in the day from my memories. 

Post edited at 18:56
 ERB 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

You mean Dave MacLeod text you. don't you?

wilkie14c 21 Jan 2020

But did you find the climber with a limp? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...