Steve Perry's funeral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Steve's family have asked me to share this:

Steve Perry's funeral will be held at St Mary's church, Todmorden, OL14 7BD, on Wednesday 27 February.
Everybody is welcome and we'd advise you to be there around 1215-1230pm for a 1pm service. 
Following that there will be a service at Rochdale Crematorium, OL11 4DG , at 3pm.
The wake will take place at The Queen's Hotel, Todmorden, behind St Mary's church.
Dress code is smart, though don't feel obliged to wear black. 
Instead of flowers we would ask for donations to the Assynt Mountain Rescue, who risked and endeavoured to return Steve and Andy to us.

https://www.justgiving.com/assyntmrt

They would appreciate people letting them know if you wish to attend so they have a rough idea of what numbers to expect. You can contact me to pass on a message.

Thanks

barrylinnard 11 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I was much saddened at the news of Steve Perry's death.

I first met Steve in May 2003. I was fishing with friends on the shores of Loch Earn.

We had enjoyed a great day and despite the atrocious weather we had a good catch of trout to put on our BBQ (fire) with some good wine to accompany them

Late in the evening a lone figure walked past and started to set up his tent on the shore quite close to us. He looked cold, wet  and tired and, as it turned out, hungry too.

We asked him to join us and he didn't need asking twice!

He told us he was on an unsupported walk from Lands End to John O' Groats taking all Munros as well as the English equivalents and was raising money for Cancer Research. I was staying in my caravan for the summer near Pitlochry so Steve stopped off and stayed a couple of nights on his return journey and we got  to know each other  well. I was in awe of his vision and resilience and a little jealous, though even then too old to think of attempting anything like he was doing. He ordered some replacement boots to be delivered to my caravan and after they arrived he gave me his old ones!!

Later we shared a dram to celebrate the birth of his daughter Grace Shiehallion, (He said Shiehallion was a fairly easy Munro and I could do it, but I passed on that one!)

We kept in touch for some years and I visited him when he was still living in Todmorden.

When he did his winter assault  on the Munros in 2005/6 I travelled to Altnaharra to meet him in the pub when he completed Ben  Hope. He walked into that amazing  pub where we were staying a very much thinner but a very happy man. What a night we had!!!

I am proud to have known Steve and consider him one of my life's heroes.

I lost touch with Steve when he moved to Scotland and I now live in Cornwall and I regret not being able to attend his funeral. If you have contact with his family I would be grateful if you will pass on my thoughts and condolences.

In their grief they can be very proud of an amazing man

Barry W Linnard

In reply to barrylinnard:

Hi Barry

Thanks so much for sharing that. Steve was quite some individual, and I think all his friends would say they were lucky to have known him.

I'll pass this on to his family, who I'm sure will really appreciate it.

All the best,

Dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...