Snowdonia Winter conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoff b 22 Nov 2018

Must be time to kick off this ever-green thread......and it's not even December yet! Quite a bit of snow & frozen puddles above 700m, huge amounts of rime on the ridges & cold easterly winds mean the conditions are stunning for winter walking at the moment but the turf's not there yet.

In reply to geoff b:

There's very little on Snowdon (South Ridge / Rhyd ddu) today. A dusting of snow above about 850 but the paths are pretty much clear, nothing frozen under foot and the only ice is the usual trampled stuff on the stairs between the cafe and the trig point. 

It looks pretty but it's not winter yet. 

Post edited at 18:01
 Pay Attention 22 Nov 2018
In reply to geoff b:

> ... this ever-green thread......

Great Intro !

OP geoff b 22 Nov 2018
In reply to geoff b:

I should have added that I was on the Carneddau today, and have just posted some photos. Barely anyone else up there amazingly.

In reply to geoff b:

Shh....don't tell them.....

davegs 23 Nov 2018
In reply to geoff b:

Don't forget, if you're on Twitter to #welshwinter @welshwinter

ianstevens 23 Nov 2018
In reply to geoff b:

Got to love the annual tradition of starting this f*cking thread 6 weeks early. 

Nothing is in.

mrphilipoldham 23 Nov 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

..but, but.. the BMC temp probe is reporting 30cm turf to be at -38C! 

TobyA 23 Nov 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Photos yesterday looked beautiful and there was a lot of rime high up. Are you just jealous as well? I think something rocky like Crib Lem or maybe Bristly would have perhaps been as easy or easier in crampons. I was going to go for a walk and a wintery scramble tomorrow - earliest I could go, but not too sure now as it looks like its going to be very foggy all day and only freezing on the very summits...

ianstevens 23 Nov 2018
In reply to TobyA:

> Photos yesterday looked beautiful and there was a lot of rime high up. Are you just jealous as well? I think something rocky like Crib Lem or maybe Bristly would have perhaps been as easy or easier in crampons. I was going to go for a walk and a wintery scramble tomorrow - earliest I could go, but not too sure now as it looks like its going to be very foggy all day and only freezing on the very summits...

Not jelous at all. I've been out and about this week and refuse to believe that there is anything that approaches winter conditions - more likely dusting snow off handholds, if at all. Like you say, it's too warm; I'll be going rock climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...