Snowdonia Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 08 Feb 2018

A friend and I were thinking about trying to get some winter climbing around The Devil's Kitchen and snowdonia but the weather forcast seems to be changing. Has anyone been in the area, does it look like might be ice around for the weekend?

Cheers

mrphilipoldham 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ford23:

There's already a thread...

cragtyke 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ford23:

Ice was building on the Kitchen routes as of Wednesday this week, but it was raining heavily this morning which may have put paid to things for a while.

largejason 11 Feb 2018

Bit from today for those interested, Cheers.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZzF72TvmiBk&

nation1 12 Feb 2018
In reply to largejason:

Hi where was this footage taken please cheers 

ross

Nigel Modern 12 Feb 2018
In reply to ford23:

Anyone been on the Trinity Face recently? Thinking of heading there this weekend.

Also interested if the freezing level is low enough for Sargeants Gulley (Cwm Glas) to be iced up? I'm guessing not...

james.slater 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Nigel Modern:

Was on Central Trinity yesterday. However it was my first real winter route so I dont have much to compare the conditions to! A lot of loose snow up to the Spider, but above that seemed a lot firmer with mostly consolidated snow in the top gully.

Nigel Modern 12 Feb 2018
In reply to james.slater:

Thanks James, good info...hope you enjoyed it.

Looks like our trip is on...was the snow deep enough protect the turf on the upper slopes?

Post edited at 15:17
 james.slater 12 Feb 2018

Lets just say if I wasnt working I would be up there again today!

There was no turf visible on the upper slopes, so im guessing it was plenty deep enough. 

Nigel Modern 12 Feb 2018
In reply to james.slater:

Ta

Anybody been in Cwm Glas?

George Fisher 12 Feb 2018

In reply to

Excellent conditions today on Right-hand Trinity. Good solid snow on the lower snow field & spider. Great solid snow all the way up the gully with a bit of ice on the bulges.  Consolidated snow on the top out. No cornice to deal with.  Howling with wind as soon as we stepped over the top but sheltered on the face.   Even a bit of sun on the walk back down the zig-zags.

it was a total unexpected treat after what I thought might be a walk in the hills. 

Trevers 12 Feb 2018

> Also interested if the freezing level is low enough for Sargeants Gulley (Cwm Glas) to be iced up? I'm guessing not...

Sargeant's was still flowing hard on Friday after a week of low temps (plus Thursday's thaw/heavy rain), so I think it needs a good sustained freeze to bring it into condition.

Nigel Modern 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Thank you

LakesWinter 16 Feb 2018

For those not on Facebook, Clogwyn Du looks good and icy on the classics according to some pics I;ve seen....

jim jones 16 Feb 2018
In reply to ford23:

I was out today, as someone said Clogwyn Du looks a good bet, I went up C Gully on Y Garn which was still in surprisingly good condition. Came down D gully (Banana gully) also plenty of snow but turning sugary by mid afternoon.

twm.bwen 20 Feb 2018
In reply to ford23:

Anyone been up on the trinity face in the last 48hrs?

Forecast implies that there's a chance of freeze thaw consolidating what's up there.

I have the possibility of going up this weekend even just to have a wander up central trinity but don't want to drive up to find out it's not in condition.

Any recent observations appreciated!

thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...