Snow holing and what to do with “number twos”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris taylor 10 Feb 2018

Snow White Project - Cairngorm Mountain Ranger Service

Theaim of the Snow White Project is to reduce the amount of human waste on the high plateau. There is particular pressure around the popular snow hole sites accessible from the Cairngorm Ski Area (Ciste Mhearad and Coire Domhain).

Therefore, we encourage everyone to carry waste back in special pots and biodegradable bags (available in the Cairngorm Mountain Ranger Base).

Why be concerned?

• Snow hole sites tend to be in areas where snow collects through the winter, this snow takes a long time to melt and as a result there is a unique ecosystem lying underneath. This ecosystem doesn’t appreciate the sudden influx of nutrients during a spring melt.
  • Nobody wants to step in other peoples’ deposits
  • Visual impacts
  • Localised water contamination - Increased risk of sickness from melting and drinking contaminated snow

And lastly
  • It’s my job to check the snow hole sites for lapses in this system and carrying off your own is one thing but carrying off someone else’s is another!

If you are accessing a snow hole site from the Cairngorm Ski Area I would encourage you to do your bit for the Cairngorms.

• Call in at the Ranger Base for your bags and a carrying pot.
  • When nature calls, poo in the bag, tie the top of the bag and put in the pot.
  • On return to the car park, follow the signs, which will direct you down to below the bottom car park where you will find the Poo Chute where you deposit your bag and throw the plastic pot in the sterilising barrel next to it.
  • The Ranger Service can then clean the posts ready for re-use by the next person.

Most individuals and groups on winter skills courses are aware of the system and a great thanks to those who use it, but I have had a few individuals who were unaware of the FREE service on offer from the Cairngorm Mountain Ranger Service.

Any questions please email me: c.taylor@naturalretreats.co.uk

Or phone on 01479 861 327

Chris Taylor

Senior Ranger

Cairngorm Mountain Ranger Service

pebbles 10 Feb 2018
In reply to chris taylor:

What a brilliant idea

IPPurewater 10 Feb 2018

Where is the Ranger base ?

Welsh Kate 10 Feb 2018
In reply to IPPurewater:

It's where they post up the weather and avalanche forecasts at the ski centre.

Dave the Rave 10 Feb 2018

So someone found my stool on Cairn Toul?

ben b 10 Feb 2018

Well done on getting this funded - over here we clean our own pots etc.

https://alpineclub.org.nz/parkside/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/poo-pot-broch...

b

george mc 11 Feb 2018

Is this on your website? Can't seem to find it on the current website - a link would be useful as could be circulated just to remind folks?

BTW this was started years back by Heather Morning when she was working as a Ranger at the ski-area. Glenmore Lodge prior to then had been operating their own bag in bag out project as a trial with Winter ML groups (and currently now run this for their Winter ML groups).

DerwentDiluted 11 Feb 2018

I'm not sure why someone would dislike this post, perhaps they will be staging a dirty protest?

planetmarshall 11 Feb 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> I'm not sure why someone would dislike this post, perhaps they will be staging a dirty protest?

Yet they have no problem showing their faeces in public.

Ron Walker 11 Feb 2018

On a separate note Chris on a few occasions we've noticed the weather and avalanche reports on the electronic display screen at the Ranger Base was out of date and we popped in to mention it but no one was about. Who updates this and would it be possible to slow down the speed that the various weather and avalanches reports change at as it is far to fast to read and very frustrating.

Cheers Ron

In reply to george mc:

I much preferred it called "The Poo Project" as it was back then

OP chris taylor 11 Feb 2018
In reply to Ron Walker:

Ron thanks for you feedback. And I agree the electronic board has not been ideal with some teething trouble!

After fiddling with setting, I have just found some which allows me to put up a two page spread of the weather, etc.  It is MUCH easier to read now with a better resolution in full screen. I have that up to 40 seconds. Let me know if it is still too fast. People getting the bus start to complain if it is more than that.

In reply to george mc:

George, Yes it was a great project set up by Heather, she pops in regularly!

The only link we have is a brief mention here: 

https://www.cairngormmountain.org/conservation/

A picture guide would be helpful/educational. To do....

Chris

In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Yeah - says what it is on the can, I agree.

Chris

george mc 12 Feb 2018

Thanks, Chris - it's  a great project so it would be good to have it's own web page I think - bring it into sharp focus esp during winter time.

ClayClay 12 Feb 2018

I've always found defecating into a plastic bag to be nearly impossible. Its very easy to drop on out onto the ground, then pick it up in a bag, like you would for your doggies doo doo. I find the idea of aiming for a bag to put many people off, but as soon as I raise the ease of picking up the doggie mess, the practice is quickly adopted. I especially see this as a great thing in the cold, when the post-event-cold-hands need warming. The ground also takes care of any urine that would find its way into the bag (a natural filter if you like). Now, does anyone know of a supply of double thickness freezer bags, in the range of 2 kg capacity of a material slightly less dense than water (generally)?

ben b 14 Feb 2018
In reply to ClayClay:

I think it's very dependent where you are on the Bristol Stool Chart (may be proportional to the amount of freeze-dried food or gels that have been consumed). Peeing all over the deposit doesn't make the run off better.

Hence the NZ practice of large sheets that are then wrapped and folded like so many cod and chips. Also often easier to slide in the pot (bearing in mind some trips might be longer than overnight, and after the first week the size of the pot becomes increasingly important!

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...