Sketchy abseil video, Hansjörg Auer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 05 Mar 2018

Sorry if this has already been posted on UKC, I couldn't find it.

This made me feel uncomfortable: https://www.facebook.com/HansjoergAuer.official/videos/10156275046798216/

Post edited at 08:19
 Tony the Blade 05 Mar 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

I read somewhere that it was a fake clip. Something to do with an advertisement. 

Sorry I can't be more specific. 

Smythson 05 Mar 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

Well that must have been character building! 

john arran 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> I read somewhere that it was a fake clip. Something to do with an advertisement. 

> Sorry I can't be more specific. 

Look at the angle of the trees in the distance. It could well be that the slope he's 'abseiling' down is about 20degs Very convincing at first sight though!

d_b 05 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

Hard to tell, as gopros have masses of distortion around the edges and angles tend to be messed up.  The rope does appear to be free hanging at some points which suggests it is somewhat steeper than 20 degrees.

OP JuneBob 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Ah, ok - hmm, even on second viewing it isn't obvious to me what the angle is. I originally thought it was Hansjörg Auer himself in the video.

In reply to john arran:

The guy has freesoloed a 850m+ route at French 7b. Not sure what he'd get out of faking an abseil?

john arran 05 Mar 2018
In reply to fromsinkingships:

Well given that my only knowledge of this video is this thread, which gives no context at all, who knows what reason there may have been for making it - certainly seems to have generated clicks! I can't honestly believe he or anyone else would be trying to suggest that such an ab is reasonable.

And it's 7b+ 

Pete Houghton 05 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

> I can't honestly believe he or anyone else would be trying to suggest that such an ab is reasonable.

Well, if the alternative is an attempt to downclimb in which you are fairly-certain you'll peel off, then the unreasonable abseil becomes the reasonable choice...

In reply to john arran:

The caption of the video reads;

"When you're climbing solo, you realize that you got off the route but there is no option anymore to climb up or down?! By the way you have no gear except a thin rope, one ice screw, your harness, a belay device and you need your crampons and ice axes to finish the climb. Challenging!"

thommi 05 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

I'm with John on this one. The rope doesn't look free hanging at all, and when hes actually abing it is definitely laying on the rocks and not dangling off into the abyss!! also he knocks his axe at about 21 seconds in and its loose! make of that what you will...

john arran 05 Mar 2018

> The caption of the video reads;

> "When you're climbing solo, you realize that you got off the route but there is no option anymore to climb up or down?! By the way you have no gear except a thin rope, one ice screw, your harness, a belay device and you need your crampons and ice axes to finish the climb. Challenging!"

I didn't see that. Perhaps my assumption that it's an advertising spoof isn't right? I still think it's far less steep than it initially appears.

Dave 88 05 Mar 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

Is this the next version of the Beal Escaper?

Removed User 05 Mar 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

If I didn't have a warthog to whap into the turf I'd have abseiled off my axe. I must say I liked the way he held his axe at the ready while descending so that if the worst happened he could quickly bury it in a usefully close patch of neve thus averting a plummet to certain death.

I suspect it's bollocks. Either that or we can expect to be reading more about Hans in an obituary quite soon.

Robert Durran 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> I suspect it's bollocks. Either that or we can expect to be reading more about Hans in an obituary quite soon.

The fact that he seemed to be able to fiddle around setting it up no hands and the tree thing suggests it wasn't very steep at all and the spike pretty positive. So, as long as the rock sound, no reason why it shouldn't be safe enough.

Removed User 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

It didn't look very positive to me.

Robert Durran 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> It didn't look very positive to me.

It looked flat if you were to assume crag vertical, so pretty positive if not all that steep.

TheGeneralist 05 Mar 2018

> The guy has freesoloed a 850m+ route at French 7b.

Soloed, just 'soloed.'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...