Simond Anaconda axes .. and crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyE9 23 Nov 2019

Hi all..  

One for all you winter guys ..   while I was getting my new jacket , I had a look at the Simond Anaconda ice axes  ...   they are pretty cheap , the actually felt good in the hand ...   I haven't been able to find much about them , I did notice there wasn't any T rating on them ..  

Was wondering if these are any good , mainly for Scottish winter ..   im not really a gear snob , I don't do a lot of winter climbing so not worried about having the best ..  

Additional to this , I was after my own crampons this year , they have some which look ok have changeable points , looks like the parts are easy to get ... ? anyone use these , I was thinking about some mountain technology ones , but im struggling to find the replacement points and stuff ...  

anyway , any info would be great , and much appreciated 

OP AndyE9 23 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

everything I can find about these , are quite old , but all say that they are reasonably good ...   ? 

leon 1 23 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:   From the specifications.... 

Stds / Certif: CE, EN13089, Type 2 shaft, Type 1 pick

Which equates to  Shaft is T Rated  + Pick is B rated

Post edited at 23:07
OP AndyE9 24 Nov 2019
In reply to leon 1:

ok , thats interesting , cheers ..   I did wonder and wanted to make sure there were a good product before I considered getting them ..  

Suncream 24 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

I have these axes, and i don't have much experience of other models to compare them with (they are my first technical axes), but for what it's worth, I think the quality is solid, and I find them very comfortable. My only gripe would be that the picks aren't T rated, but for the price I'm very happy with my purchase.

OP AndyE9 24 Nov 2019
In reply to Suncream:

They felt pretty good in the hand , my daughter has the Quarks and I have to say these felt as balanced ...   

I did wonder about the picks , (im no expert) but I think that for Scottish mixed T rated pick is advised , maybe someone on here can advise.. 

JezzOr where do you climb ?  

cragtyke 24 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

I've used some of the older model Naja's for a few years, which are very similar but no plastic handle, done quite a few III's and IV's with them in Wales , the Peak and Scotland. I think they're fine and still use them for easier mixed type stuff.

Suncream 24 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

I guess I've used them for up to Scottish tech 5 moves

rogerwebb 24 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

I had a pair of these. Excellent on ice. Tend to bend if vigorously torqued. If you intend to climb ice and gullies a very good tool. How easy is it to get replacement picks though? 

OP AndyE9 24 Nov 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

i think the picks can be bought fairly easy from decathlon  ,   but I have now just seen some grivel light machine's  , these are not a great deal more money , come with a leash , and are all T rated . . .  tho I cant find much info on them ..    

rogerwebb 24 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

I don't know anyone with those but most grivel climbing axes are very rugged so I doubt they would let you down. 

DaveHK 24 Nov 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

>,   but I have now just seen some grivel light machine's  , 

The only thing that would concern me about them is that sliding grip rest. It might be fine but seems unnecessary and moving parts often have more potential to go wrong.

Would you consider buying 2nd hand?  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...