Shortest winter route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 10 Mar 2018

There have been a few photos in the gallery this week of some very short ice routes. Some look no longer than 3 or 4 body lengths (although that may just be a foreshortened view). Is there a general consensus for the minimum length of a winter route?

A few of the 'routes' photographed qualify for what some old timers would have called 'the approach".

mrphilipoldham 11 Mar 2018
In reply to estivoautumnal:

It's the new sport of ice bouldering developing, surely?

Wayne S 11 Mar 2018

So climbing some variable form of frozen water to not even the top of a mountain, by perhaps a non-logical line using steel aid for hands and feet needs more arbitrary rules? 

Minimum length is the distance required to give the climber a good experience!

Niblet 11 Mar 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

The problem with ice bouldering is that the mats wear out too quickly.

Mark Collins 11 Mar 2018

Applying rock climbing standards works for me. I think the shortest I've ever seen is 4m.

In reply to Niblet:

> The problem with ice bouldering is that the mats wear out too quickly.

Go "Old School" and loose the mat!

In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Winter bouldering is where it's at !  maybe my warped sense of humour, find this very funny, comedy gold from Birkett. 

youtube.com/watch?v=jNrdI1nUPmM&

Post edited at 10:46
 marzi 11 Mar 2018

Aladdins mirror direct when banked up, I watched Andy nesbit climb up past me in about three moves once, while I was struggling at the end if a rope

climber34neil 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Brilliant!!!

profitofdoom 11 Mar 2018

> Is there a general consensus for the minimum length of a winter route?

Yes. Two inches

estivoautumnal 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Wayne S:

> So climbing some variable form of frozen water to not even the top of a mountain, by perhaps a non-logical line using steel aid for hands and feet needs more arbitrary rules? 

Not unless you want to apply them? I was wondering how long a route needs to be before a first (or subsequent) ascent(s) can be claimed. By your logic a simple step on ice can be a route if the experience was good. 

GarethSL 11 Mar 2018

I will admit to having logged "From Culvert to Tree" it gets 12 m but in reality its probably closer to 6. In my defence however, I did continue up the ice line from the tree.

From culvert to tree (III)

Smith42 13 Mar 2018

I saw the photos with three lines drawn on a tiny patch of ice and felt a little sad.  Get a grip guys.

Alternatively there are few thousand first ascents still waiting for you on Ben Nevis.

Mr. Lee 13 Mar 2018
In reply to petegunn:

6th March climbed,

6th March logged ay FA,

7th March someone states they previously climbed it.

Nothing like a bit of research before claiming a first ascent!

Claiming three routes seem a bit silly. I think it's pretty normal with ice just to count it as one route unless there's a clear obvious feature that is harder and regularly forms as such.

To be fair the actual climbing on Aladdin's Mirror Direct is about the same length. 

French Erick 13 Mar 2018

but really who cares? It's not the last "great problem" has finally succumbed, is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...