Scotland I/II winter recommendations this weeknd?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chaildn 18 Nov 2019

Hi, a friend and I have a long weekend booked off to go somewhere in Scotland this weekend .

We have done some grade I/II winter routes in Snowdonia and have done a little 4000m summer alpinism; would really appreciate any recommendations around the grade for routes or areas given the briefness of our visit!

Currently thinking Fort William as a base and doing the CMD Arete on Sunday. We'd really love to do some gullys but I'm not sure if anything around is in good condition to go up? 

We're travelling up from London by train or plane, and we could rent a car if that would be worthwhile. 

Thanks for any advice! 

PaulJepson 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Chaildn:

Go for snowed-up rock routes - gullys will be horrid. 

Scottish winter grades are often softer than Welsh ones, so don't rule out IIIs. 

drunken monkey 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Chaildn:

I'd avoid gullies until theres been a thaw refreeze - by recent accounts that hasnt quite happened yet. East coast (Cairngorms etc) seems to have more snow than West coast.

CMD arete would be a good, relatively easy introductory day out at that grade (unless its blowing a hoolie)

Root1 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Chaildn:

Golden Oldie.

Mike-W-99 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Root1:

Likely to be quiet too with the gondola being down for maintenance

Root1 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Ideal.

daWalt 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Chaildn:

http://scottishwinterroutes.com/

This includes a few that are no more than an enjoyable walk: good scenary, mild exposure. 

Can't comment on conditions but it's early in the season. Gullies likely to be a bit too lean for my taste.... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...