Recommend a winter climbing instructor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drsdave 15 Dec 2017
Can anyone recommend a winter climbing instructor who charges between £150 - £175 a day. I’m wanting to increase my mileage this year on III - IV.
 BnB 15 Dec 2017
In reply to drsdave:

You coming to the Skye Winter Festival Dave? That's a good way to pick up skills for free from some good climbers, many of them pros. Unless you end up climbing with me, mind
 Mark Eddy 15 Dec 2017
In reply to drsdave:

Lots of great winter instructors out there.
Paddy Cave at Mountain Circles would be a good choice. You'll defo get the mileage in with him
 Andy Nisbet 15 Dec 2017
In reply to drsdave:

You might have to pay a bit more for someone good.
OP drsdave 16 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:
I’ll look as to when it is Julian, climbing with you is not a problem. If you want a partner I’m aiming to be around Feb and March
Post edited at 06:54
OP drsdave 16 Dec 2017
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Ok that’s a fair comment
 BnB 16 Dec 2017
In reply to drsdave:

First couple of weeks in February. Reckon I'll be there for the second week (ish)
 Adam15 16 Dec 2017
In reply to drsdave:

Try Jamie Bankhead, http://glencoeclimbing.co.uk/about

Me and a friend have done a variety with him from winter skills when he use to work at the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven.
To winter climbs up to grade 4 etc and from what I can remember he would be in your price range so maybe worth a go
 AlH 16 Dec 2017
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Thanks Gwilym but I charge more than that and I'm booked solid from 4 Jan to 4 April with just a handful of days held back for regulars in March. All the best to the other poster drsdave and either Jake, Darren, Jamie or Paddy are all great if you can get them at that price. Also lots of others (in Lochaber alone there's Adele Pennington, Steve Holmes, Max Hunter, Scott Kirkhope, Guy Steven, Kenny Grant and Ken Applegate all of whom are excellent, in the Cairngorms Ian Stewart, Lou Reynolds (works East and West), Kevin Rutherford, Ron Walker and Mark Chadwick for example) who are members of AMI and BMG but you may find the price a sticking point.
 Martin Hore 17 Dec 2017
In reply to drsdave:

I've never instructed for a living but if you're hoping for 1:1 then £150 per day is not I would think realistic. At 5 days a week for 48 weeks that works out at £36,000 per year. That might sound quite good, I guess, but then you have to subtract insurance, clothing and gear, travel and most importantly the considerable percentage of days spent not earning while you are advertising or responding to bookings, doing other admin, and the many days when you fail to get business.

Martin

In reply to AlH:

Ha. And you are worth more. I skipped over the price bit and just went for some recomendations
 charliesdad 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I'd recommend Andy Nisbet; quality, not quantity.
 Andy Nisbet 17 Dec 2017
In reply to charliesdad:

Alas, I'm retired now.
 Max Hunter 18 Dec 2017
In reply to AlH:

Thank you Alan.

I think with winter climbing instructors, you get what you pay for. A day of 1:1 winter Instruction with an MIC or Guide attracts costs starting at about £200, upwards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...