"pee-techniques" - weeing into a bottle in cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris33 28 Apr 2019

Hello, not a joke nor meant to be rude to anyone on a holy Sunday...but tried on my last hike in North Wales to urinate into a 1l-nalgene widemouth flask at night. it wasn´t overly cold, but I wanted to train for colder conditions. What I did is to open my sleeping bag half way, turned on my side and "attached" the bottle. The fuller the bottle got during the night (I had far too much tea for dinner), the more I had to lift my bowl during the process - a good exercise during Yoga, but a bit of a hassle at night.

I wonder if some of the male winter expedition cracks might be able to comment if that is the way to go or if there are better ways of doing it, like for instance to get up on your knees and pee like in front of a urinal but while kneeing.

As an intermediate result, it was indeed less hassle then crawling out of my tiny one-man-tent and getting into my shoes. At this stage I did not dare to put the full bottle as foot warmer into the sleeping bag, maybe some other time

Cheers

Chris

Simon Caldwell 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Do as you did,. but after each use reach outside the tent and empty the bottle.

J Whittaker 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Ive had a genius idea....

Get a CamelBak (or other brand, i'm non exclusive) and rig up an attachment system for your Johnson with the hose. Maybe a variation on a well known sleeve device. Then you can fill the CamelBak without even having to unzip your sleeping bag and as an added bonus it will keep you warm on those cold expedition nights.

Just be sure to have a high level alarm attached. You don't want an explosive overfill situation or too much back pressure on the hose. If you like lots of tea id suggest the 3L reservoir. 

planetmarshall 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

At Camp 2 at Ama Dablam in December it was about -20 and I still managed to get half out of my sleeping bag into a kneeling position to use the bottle. It surely can't be that hard.

bouldery bits 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Do as you did,. but after each use reach outside the tent and empty the bottle.

This.

Trangia 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

I've done as in your OP Para 2

Not too keen on trying in situ bag convulsions due to the risk of splash, overflow, missing etc

An empty one litre pure squeezed orange juice bottle is perfect as it has a wide neck and can be washed out for multiple use, and recycled at the end of the camping trip

OP Chris33 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks, will those be tight after drinking the orange juice (the real one, haha), as I remember that they have this foil as a seal underneath the lid?

In reply to J Whittaker:

> Ive had a genius idea....

It's called a 'StadiumPal/StadiumGal'

https://www.stadiumpal.com/

Dave the Rave 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Prior to Whisky daves injury, I just used to flip it over his shoulder and piss in his. Genetics helps to a degree here.

jonnie3430 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Kneeling all the time for me, too many times swamped a bag other ways...  ( P.s. the Flexi nalgenes are a great camelback/ nalgene compromise. Just make sure there's no holes (peed myself that way too once.))

In reply to Chris33:

I've been in some extreme conditions and never had a problem peeing outside, if it's windy just build a snow wall. With that being said, I've never had a problem peeing into jars. Just kneel, stick your junk in the bottle, release the floodgates. 

shantaram 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Kneeling every time. Way too risky any other way. High altitude trekking/climbing I used to have my pee bottle technique down to a fine art. 1 litre wide necked bottle. Fill half the bottle during the night, then use the morning wake up wee to melt the frozen wee in the bottle. Pour out on getting out the tent. Pee bottles are the way forward to get a good night sleep in cold camps.

Billhook 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

This is the first time I've heard of needing to train for colder conditions by piddling in a bottle !!

Along with all the other posters, kneeling + peeing into a bottle wide enough to get the last several inches of your best friend into it.  Then toss it (dont be tempted - just the contents) outside the tent.

Do mark the bottle in some way - just incase you think its cold tea just needing warming up.

JoshOvki 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

> Do mark the bottle in some way - just incase you think its cold tea just needing warming up.

I am a fan of the soft side of valcro to mark my pee bottle.

Dell 28 Apr 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

> I am a fan of the soft side of valcro to mark my pee bottle.

Gives you something absorbent to wipe the tip on. 

Joak 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Peeing into a bottle requires a skill set the likes of which I can only dare dream of achieving. If on the other hand you need some advice on wiping your nose, I may be of some assistance.     

druridge 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

At times I worry for mankind. We are very close to 'high altitude' training on how to wipe your ar*e!

oldie 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

A proper pee bottle with an upwards slanting entry so it can't overflow would help in many positions. Can also be used for other purposes as nalgene.

I was once stuck for about a month on my back with my leg in traction. Worst thing was the small bottle volume as we were only allowed one bottle and desperate calls for another for the last few ml would reverberate down the ward. Many of us used to hide a second in our lockers. 1 L absolute minimum, screw on top much safer than click shut.

Post edited at 09:47
 Robert Durran 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

Some advice. If you use a pee bottle when dossing in the back of your car, don't forget about it and find yourself having to explain a bottle of stale piss in the footwell to your new girlfriend a few weeks later.

BruceM 29 Apr 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

> I am a fan of the soft side of velcro to mark my pee bottle.

Stick hook side velcro to inside of thigh and you do it no hands.

Isn't the internet useful!

Removed User 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

If you can't work out how to piss in a bottle, should you be on a mountain? Does mummy still check you've wiped properly?

Ross McGibbon 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

I climbed in the Bernina Alps with someone who stiched a zip into his Force Ten tent (it was a while back!). The zip was half way down so that he could unzip it, stick his tackle out and widdle under the groundsheet.

Must remember to rinse the tent after use

Robert Durran 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

> I climbed in the Bernina Alps with someone who stiched a zip into his Force Ten tent (it was a while back!). The zip was half way down so that he could unzip it, stick his tackle out and widdle under the groundsheet.

I always favour tents with two porches, one for cooking and one for peeing into. Just like a house really - kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. After a few days, the area of dead grass in the bathroom porch is a bit of a give away when you move on though.

Joak 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

A couple of years ago I was using an ancient Nalogene plastic bottle as a piss bottle. I went to empty it in the morning. Clutching it to my chest in an effort to unscrew the over tightened lid the whole bottle disintegrated, drenching me in stale piss. Not the best of starts to a day.  

Kean 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Do as you did, but after each use reach outside the tent and empty the bottle.

...or get your girlfriend to empty it for you when she goes out for a pee...and chuckle as she mutters "bastard...bastard" ...(at 6000m in the Himalayas when it was -20°C and howling outside...she's a good sport though...she must be...she married me )

cwarby 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Kean:

You could buy her a she-wee

There was a friend I knew who went on a walk with a new boyfriend and needed a wee. Without thinking she went behind a wall only to see the look of horror on his face as she stood there. "No, no honestly...."

pec 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

After years of experimenting with a variety of recepticals I've found this little beauty to be the best, bigger capacity than a Nalgene and packs away to the size of an egg cup.

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/uribag-male-travel-urinal-1200ml.html

Kneeling up is safest, just insert your old man into the neck and you can't go wrong. If you buy from Age UK it's VAT free as well

There's also a version for the ladies

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/uribag-female-travel-urinal-1200ml.html

Wee Davie 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Chris33:

I'm at the age where 'getting lucky' is the last thing I'm up all night for. Who knows how I acquired one of these things but it works a treat for me for my many nocturnal adventures. 

https://www.amazon.com/WSERE-Emergency-Urination-Leakproof-Collapsible/dp/B...

Pay Attention 19 May 2019
In reply to Wee Davie:

You are the eponymous hero of this entire thread!

Babika 19 May 2019
In reply to Kean:

> ...or get your girlfriend to empty it for you when she goes out for a pee...and chuckle as she mutters "bastard...bastard" ...(at 6000m in the Himalayas when it was -20°C and howling outside...she's a good sport though...she must be...she married me )

Your gf must be nuts.

At 5600m last week I went in a plastic measuring jug from Sainsbury's costing 50p. Chucked it out of the rear tent end as others suggest. 

andrewm1000 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Chris33:   actually this is one of the most important things to feel comfortable doing if at high altitude. I would never want to open the tent more than once in a night so my routine is;

- kneeling. There are kneelers and side-layers. I’ve never managed it properly laying on my side and had the odd spill when trying. I’m an expert kneeler but it does mean opening the top of the bag a little.

- put the warm pee bottle down at your feet. Important not to lose that warmth. No risk of drinking it in the dark because I have tape on the outer and it smells when you open the top!

i have a dedicated orange 1 litre nalgene for this purpose and wouldn’t dream of not having it on an expedition. I’ve looked for a 2litre wide mouth collapsible (pee bottles take up space in the pack) but never found a good product. See other threads on this topic.

jonnie3430 20 Jun 2019
In reply to andrewm1000:

Have you tried a collapsible nalgene?

andrewm1000 08 Jul 2019
In reply to jonnie3430: thanks. Your comment prompted me to look again and I just ordered one on Amazon. 1.5 litre which will do for most nights, sometimes not quite when I might pee over 2 litres. I had looked for these last year and a few years ago without success and surprised to see several types with wide mouth on sale now. This will replace my I litre standard wide mouth Nalgene as my pee bottle now. regards Andrew

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...