Over The Glasses Goggles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doughobbs 06 Oct 2022

What goggles are people wearing/what do people rate that fit over glasses in (UK) winter? looking around and there are millions to choose from!

I'm not entirely concened about budget at this stage, just want to get a feel for what people recommend/suggest to avoid

Basemetal 06 Oct 2022
 Garethza 06 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Depends how big your glasses are… 

OP doughobbs 06 Oct 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

ace - I'll have a read of that, thanks

Ali Gray 06 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Are these belay glasses or regular glasses?

John Ww 06 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

I had (and in fact still have) a pair of Bolle OTG, with a double skinned  photochromic lens - quite simply the best ski goggles I've ever had, until I sat on them and cracked the lens. I even rang Bolle to see if I could get a replacement lens, but without success. Bugger.

OP doughobbs 07 Oct 2022
In reply to Ali Gray:

I wear regular glasses so am I'm looking for over the top goggles when winter mixed climbing/mountaineering.

rogerwebb 07 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Julbo do some very good clear ones that fit over glasses. Mine anyway. Sorry I can't give you the model as the packaging went long ago.

Duncan Beard 19 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

I got some off Ebay (3 years ago) made by Outdoor Master, clear lenses, fit over glasses. They do a variety of lenses.

Only really used them once, topping out in Glencoe in a blizzard, worked fine. Very affordable.

Manufacturer's site: https://outdoormaster.com

nufkin 20 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Possibly sticking an oar in where it's not asked for, but to my mind contact lenses are preferable. I got some Bolle goggles years ago, which worked okay, but then found that contacts just simplify things. No steaming-up or sweat-dripping of glasses, no constant frame readjustment, no inadvertent whacking of the frames - and thus the bridge of the nose - when seconding on a tight rope.
If the only thing discouraging you is squeamishness about poking things in your eye, it's worth persisting to overcome this

CantClimbTom 20 Oct 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Not sure if this is fully related or thread hijacking (in which case tell me to... ****) but as well as accommodating glasses, what are peoples solutions for keeping tip of nose warm without causing massive fogging, I've never got that quite 100% right with glacier glasses or goggles

tomstew 12 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

I picked up a pair in a ski resort ~6 years ago from Loubsol. Similar to these today I think https://www.speck-sports.com/en/goggles/41770-loubsol-punta-ski-goggle-blac...

Foam cutouts for the arms of glasses & have worked well 

Graeme G 12 Dec 2022
In reply to nufkin:

> Possibly sticking an oar in where it's not asked for, but to my mind contact lenses are preferable.

Possibly. But the OP may be like me and unable to wear contacts.

Spectacles are the bane of my life. Would love to be able to wear contacts.

Angoosey 13 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

I've also been pondering this. My current goggles are very uncomfortable with my glasses on, fortunately, I have just enough sight that I can see where I'm putting my feet without my glasses... but then I can't read a map 😅

These prescription lens inserts for ski goggles caught my eye recently. I'd be very curious to hear from anyone with experience using them or something similar.

Marek 13 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

I suspect it's quite personal and dependent on face shape and glasses. I did the old-fashioned thing and went into a shop and tried some on till I eventually found a pair that fitted (face, glasses and wallet).

daviemore 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Angoosey:

Have used similar but wouldnt recommend. Just adds another layer to get steamed up and/or scratched. I have a pair of Julbo OTG photochromic ones which were expensive but work well and have excellent visibility.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...