Once in a decade (or so) ice conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 10 Mar 2018

Driving through Glen Shiel last week I was amazed by the amount of ice that had formed on the west face of the Five Sisters. Every waterfall and gully was choked with ice. Even the river at the side of the road was frozen. I didn't see many parked cars so assume not many people were out climbing? Were any new routes claimed? It's been about 20 years since I have seen conditions like that.

Sophie G. 10 Mar 2018
In reply to estivoautumnal:

I don't know about in Glen Shiel. Andy Nisbet and Dave McGimpsey have just put a couple of things up on Beinn Fhada. http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=6754 But that's not really roadside water-ice. Mike Lates has been climbing smears above the road near Sconser. There are or were some good ice-mushrooms and umbrellas in various places in Angus--we climbed three short routes like that on Friday. And there are waterfalls all over the Highlands which have been in, though I think they've all gone now. WIth any luck they'll come back next week...

Does anyone know if Eas a'Chuil Aluinn got repeated during the good weather?

Post edited at 23:21
estivoautumnal 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Sophie G.:

Glen Shiel caught my attention because the lines are 500m+. I hope someone got out.

Not sure about Eas a'Chuil Aluinn but I did hear that the falls of Glomach were in a solid climbable condition.

Sophie G. 11 Mar 2018

Glomach? That's very unusual.

Tricadam 11 Mar 2018

> Not sure about Eas a'Chuil Aluinn but I did hear that the falls of Glomach were in a solid climbable condition.

And, providing the track isn't too snowed up, it's a very pleasant cycle in. If only I weren't working 12 days in a row...

wercat 11 Mar 2018

I don't know about that but in terms of Ice conditions being able to walk out from Keswick to the island with the house on it, and seeing people walking across the lake from Portinscale a few years back was a once-in-a-lifetime experience I think, the sort of thing I thought only happened in Arthur Ransome books.

Post edited at 14:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...