New Helvellyn winter conditions monitoring system

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer, BMC 04 Jan 2018
Following the success of the Great End project last winter, a new winter conditions monitoring system has been installed and is now up and running on Helvellyn. Full details in this article: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/new-helvellyn-winter-conditions-monitoring-system

A direct link to the Lake District Winter Conditions page, which has graphs for both Helvellyn and Great End can be found here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/great-end-winter-conditions

It's been a relatively promising start to the winter so far with a few short cold snaps already, so fingers crossed cold conditions come back for an extended period and we get that vintage season we've all been hoping for!

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BM<C Access & Conservation Officer (England)
 elliptic 04 Jan 2018
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Looks like the probes are set at different depths to Great End, was there a particular reason for that?
 ianstevens 04 Jan 2018
In reply to elliptic:

I would guess the turf on Hellvellyn isn't 30cm deep?
OP Rob Dyer, BMC 04 Jan 2018
In reply to elliptic:
For the Helvellyn system, we have decided to trial different turf depths for the turf sensors following user feedback from Great End and Idwal, going for 5cm/10cm/15cm instead of 5cm/15cm/30cm used at the other sites. The main thinking behind this is that turf is only likely to freeze to 30cm in extended periods of exceptionally cold weather, when almost everything is likely to be frozen solid. Given that the main focus of the project is informing climbers about marginal conditions temperature readings at shallower depths could be more useful in assessing conditions, or they could just provide three very similar readings. This remains to be seen, but we will compare the two systems over the winter and review in the spring – if needed we can change either site in the future if one setup proves more useful than the other.

Cheers
Rob
Post edited at 16:30
 elliptic 04 Jan 2018

Thanks Rob, that makes sense. It's a very minor point but can I suggest tweaking the colours so that same colour = same depth (where applicable) on the two charts?
 Sean Kelly 04 Jan 2018

One for the Trinity Face on Snowdon?
 GrahamUney 04 Jan 2018

Looks good Rob. Just one question. The Great End probes have a 'Current Readings'......

I've just checked, and whilst writing this, I see you've added a 'Current Readings' box for Helvellyn too. So, no questions from me!

Ta.

Graham Uney
 GrahamUney 05 Jan 2018

Hi again Rob. Just noticed that in the 'Current Readings' box for Helvellyn, the probe depths are wrong. Can this be changed please?
 neilwiltshire 05 Jan 2018

Just to point out, the "Current Conditions" table for Helvellyn currently shows depths of 5, 15 & 30 which is at odds with the Helvellyn graph and your statement above.

Cheers,

Neil.
OP Rob Dyer, BMC 05 Jan 2018
In reply to GrahamUney & neilwiltshire:

Thanks for the heads up guys - our tech guys are looking into sorting this now.

Cheers
Rob

robshep 05 Jan 2018
In reply to GrahamUney, neilwiltshire, elliptic:

Thanks for the feedback, those things have been taken care of.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...